motor is missing

hardsoko

Cadet
I have a 1982 60hp Johnson J60ELCNM that sat for about 4 years. I recently got the boat running again and everything seemed to be running fine. I replaced both plugs and wires with new ones and cleaned both carbs. Replaced all fuel lines on the motor and hose going to the motor and have a new fuel tank. Also replaced the lower unit with a used one and everything in that is working and in good condition. The motor had ran for about 3 hours perfectly no missing or sputtering. The last time I had the boat in the water we ran for about 45min at 3/4 to wot, stopped for a min when we noticed the bilge pump was not working (plugged hose), so we decided to head back to the launch. After running wot for about 15 min the motor lost power and started missing, I backed it down to about 1/4 throttle and limped to the launch. Thinking that the motor might have just been to hot although my water pump seems to be working fine, I decided to put the boat in the water a few days later and see how it ran after allowing it to cool down, It missed and sputtered from the second i started it. Could this be a blown head gasket? or a timing/ points synchronizing issue? Im sure there is probably a hundred things that could cause this, I am open to any opinions and ideas thank you

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor is missing

You need to do the basic health check.
Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition
Post results and go from there.
I did not see "Change impeller" in your list ???