Have a 93 Johnson 15 hp tiller shuts off when try to idle or run slow

envy2500

Recruit
I have a 93 Johnson 15 horse tiller that shuts off when i try to let the throttle down. Runs great anywhere from 25% throttle to wide open. Any lower it just shuts off. Weather in gear or out. Also has to have the choke on to start every time then must quickly kill choke and crank throttle to keep running. Basically have to slam in gear to keep running. Any tips would be great! Thanks.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Have a 93 Johnson 15 hp tiller shuts off when try to idle or run slow

Looks like it is time for a complete carb cleaning with a new kit installed. For more information see the Top Secret File at the top of this forum. Welcome to IBoats!

envy2500

Recruit

Thank you, well i hardly inclined when it comes to outboards. When you say kit, do you mean jet? Is there a low idle mixture adjustment screw? Thanks

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

While idling you can adjust the idle mixture screw #15 in this picture. You may get it to idle right. Adjust it 1/8 of a turn at a time.

If the engine dies, the mixture screw is to be seated lightly, then backed out 1-1/2 turns and then you can slowly adjust again until it is idling right.

If you do not think that you can overhaul a carb, (put in a kit) the best thing to do is take it to the shop.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0