64' Johnson 5.5hp impellor housing

farmerjay

Recruit
I was trying to get this old motor to run, I changed the lower gear oil, and noticed water leaked in, figured out it was the housing for the impellor. My question is there still bottom housing parts around, and where could I find them. old part number is 376074, I also need the shift linkage :(

The powerhead runs very well and would like to get the rest going.
thanks farmerjay

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 64' Johnson 5.5hp impellor housing

First off, that part is called a bearing housing. Secondly, I'm wondering what is wrong with the one you have. Why don't you simply replace the 300599 seal in it?

OK, assuming you really do need the whole bearing housing, 376074 housing is obsolete. You have to replace it with a 382796 housing which is the same thing except they have changed the seal's outer diameter. So in the future, if you ever need a new seal for the 382796, it is # 314167 (18-2024 here at iboats). The gasket below the bearing housing is 303339 (18-2891 at iboats)

Is your bearing housing broken and the bottom of the bearing heat-damaged? That is a dead giveaway that the shock absorber that is below it is broken.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1

farmerjay

Recruit
Re: 64' Johnson 5.5hp impellor housing

Thank you for the information. Like you had said there is heat damage to the bearing housing and the shock absorber is broken, seems like there is more damage to this motor than I first thought. Is the shock absorber a part that is available or is it another part that is hard to find? And what sort of price would that be worth. Trying to figure out if it is worth fixing.

Can this power head be interchange on another base? and would it be worth doing?

thanks