Clymer is terrible!

mattLA

Cadet
Before purchasing a Seloc or Clymer I searched the forums to see if there was a consensus for a preference. My research from the University of Google concluded that Seloc had too many errors, so Clymer was the way to go.
Of course, this is only because the OEM manual is $50-something and the Cymer is $20.

Well, after a few weeks of routine thermostat changes, decarbing, re-lubing fun in the garage with my nifty new Clymer I can tell any newbies reading this - DO NOT BUY THE CLYMER!!!! It is hundreds of pages of useless information because it covers every engine ever made - which means a very tiny fraction is for your engine. The index is one page long. The diagram on how to re-assemble the thermostat casing is completely wrong - they have the gaskets in the wrong place. The obvious things are described with bad diagrams, while the more technical instructions have no diagrams. Headache after headache. Perhaps I can recoup some costs by using it as kindling in the fireplace.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clymer is terrible!

The Clymer manual is good if you run out of toilet tissue !!!:D
Although nowhere near as absorbent !!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Get the OEM Service manual... i purchased mine on ebay. It's a more detailed and engine specific manual that you'll find the information you're looking for.

Then when you have it and are doing maintenance, the Clymer is great for kneeling on so you don't dirty your clothes :D:D

Andy in NY

Commander

i have a clymers manual. recently i changed the impeller and followed the instructions for gear case removal. it said to remove the shift rod retaining screw, then remove the starter.

they were apperantly drunk, because you have to remove the starter to get to the shift rod retaining screw.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

OMC manuals are "first hand" info...whereas every other manual is second hand info. You know how stories get bent out of shape when retold!

On the subject of manuals...there is no second place...only losers!

Go with OEM always!

Mas

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a left over Amazon gift certificate from Christmas, so I decided to purchase a Clymer manual for my latest outboard. I couldn't agree more, it is a quite a POS. I guess it is better than nothing, but not much.

D

DJ

$50.00 vs. $20.00

Somebody told me something once. It goes like this: "You get what you pay for".

CATransplant

Admiral

Whenever someone complains to me about the price of an OEM manual, I ask them how much their time is worth. When they say, "Huh?" I tell them that they should calculated how much the time they waste with a bad manual is worth. They usually buy the OEM manual.

Bottom line is that the OEM manual will help you get the job done quickly and correctly. The aftermarket manual will cause you to waste a lot of time, and you'll probably have to do the job again, anyhow.

OEM manual only.

jonesg

Admiral

My shop manual cost $80.
$50 for the factory book and $30 for the clymer I wasted first.
Cheap costs more.

saycoda

Cadet

My shop manual cost $80.
Cheap costs more.

On this subject..........

507751 Service Manual Set $105.00
507757 Service Manual- $83.85

Ken Cook on outboardbooks.com offers a set and a manual, why should I get the set?

thanks

jonesg

Admiral

Don't bother with the owner operating manual, waste of money.
Get the service and parts manual.
Check ebay first.:D

mattLA

Cadet

My shop manual cost $80.
Cheap costs more.

Exactly. I complain about spending $50 on the OEM....well now it costs me $80!