Tilt/Trim Motor Repair

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman
Background: Motor is a 1990 V-6 150 Evinrude. Boat submerged at dock twice in past three years. Motor and boat recovered and ran at end of season year before last; been in driveway for a year and ran only once. Tilt trim ran fine last year but over the winter decided to stop working. I did electrical checks and decided the motor was bad so bought a replacement in January.

I removed the tilt trim mechanism and removed the drive motor. The motor was definitely bad as the armature was all black and obviously in need of some care. The trim fluid was milky gray color so I cleaned out the reservoir and the pump area. I do not know he last time it was changed and maybe never! There is no evidence of any hydraulic leakage or little evidence of water intrusion but the milky, gray color of the fluid was troubling. I removed the hydraulic lines and drained the cylinders as much as I could without disassembling. I used brake cleaner spray to get all visible parts and the filters clean looking. There appeared to be some semi-solids in the fluid (like clay sediment). I considered rebuilding but decided to reassemble and try it out. I did not replace any seals and used the old seals for the hydraulic lines. I decided to add Dexron III as the new fluid and have read the SELOC manual for this procedure. I have gone through 4-5 cycles of adding fluid and bleeding by raising the motor manually with the bypass plug loosened. I have added about 14 ounces so far out of a capacity of 26 ounces. So far there is no sign of the pump creating pressure or moving cylinders. There also is no leakage from seals that I can detect.

Am I on the right track and do I only need to continue the "tedious" process of filling the reservoir and manually raising the motor to suck the fluid into the tilt cylinder? Tilt pump motor turns and runs seemingly without any effort. Is this because the fluid is still too low? At what fill level should the pump start to kick in with pressure? Any advice is appreciated.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Tilt/Trim Motor Repair

The system must be totally full to work. You said you found what look's like sediment in the fluid. That is a no-no on a hydralic system. Even an object you can hardly see will cause a leak by.

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman
Re: Tilt/Trim Motor Repair

Thanks for the information although it is not what I had hoped to hear :>) The "sludge" easily washed away with the brake cleaner but it did have some consistency. I was hoping to use the new ATF to purge the system and replace it soon with some clean fluid. The unit worked before I had to replace the electrical motor. I guess age and neglect has caught up with this unit. Like I said, I have put about 50% of the unit's capacity in and I seem not to be able to add any more in. Could this have resulted from leak by? Is there any way to flush these closed systems effectively? I guess I'll be looking to get a rebuild kit if I can get my nerve and tools up to removing the various ports and caps.