Evinrude 9.5 spun hub or...

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Hi! My Evinrude 9.5 (1966 year) seems like it may have a spun prop hub but I'm not sure. As I accelerate to about 1/3 throttle all is fine. If I try to go faster, the engine starts to rev quite high but I get no push forward. If I throttle down, it grabs again and pushes the boat forward. There is no gear type noise or clanging, but I wonder if it slips out of gear because it isn't a gradual loss of push, rather it seems sudden.

It is a pin drive prop. I have taken the prop hub out of the prop and looked at it. It does not appear damaged. I guess you can't eyeball signs of wear on something like this. Can I just by a prop hub from an OMC dealer somewhere, or is it better to just get a new prop? The prop itself shows little signs of wear and looks pretty good.

I was thinking of tapping and screwing in three bolts from the outside into the hub. The center of the hub is thicker brass. This way the hub will certainly not spin, but I guess it could cause me problems if I ever hit a log or bottom.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 9.5 spun hub or...

If you can take the hub out of the prop and put it back,it is most definitely spun.Putting screws in the rubber will stop the spinning alright,except,next time you hit a rock or tree trunk,the impact that is supposed to be absorbed by the hub,will now be a full impact on to your gears and drive shaft,possibly at 4000 rpm.NOT GOOD.
Just grab another prop and go fishing!