Engine question

Scottimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, today was first time I took out my new-to-me boat, a 20' Fish and Ski with a 1983 Evinrude 140 V4. I have been working on it for a few months. Nothing major, just make sure things were running. I could start it in the driveway just fine with the muffs. Never even needed to put it in neutral and give it some gas. It would start just fine. Got to the lake, primed it, choked it, nothing. Had to put it into neutral and give it some gas to get it to start. Then when it did start and I was away from the "No Wake" zone and opened up the throttle it seemed to take FOREVER to get up to plane. Once up it seemed to do just fine, got it up to 30 before backing off the throttle. Played with the trim, all that and nothing seemed to really help, it has one of those planing plates on it. It just took a LONG time to get moving...With a 140 hp, it just seems like it should have gotten to plane A LOT quicker!

Any ideas on what could possibly be the problem?

Thanks!

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine question

Just a thought.

since you had the muff on it and didn't have to put in neutral, the motor didn't have a load on it. you may need to clean/rebuild the carb(s). adjust carb(s) new plugs?

hope this helps

KillerKilgore

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I have owned a few of these V-4's, and they are great motors. I once had a problem like this. The rear hood latches on these models have a nasty habit of "grabbing" spark plug and coil wires when applying the hood. MAKE sure the coil wires have not pulled loose (or apart) from the little brown 2 prong fitting on each bank of the motor. I was actually running on two cylinders until I found the coil problem. After connecting them again, she took off! Make sure the spark plug wires wires have not pulled loose from the coils as well.

Scottimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions!

Will check out the carbs, that was a thought of mine as well.

The previous owner of the boat actually caught one of those wires and cut it so I have tried to be extra cautious when putting the cover back on, but you never know. It could have grabbed one. I will check that as well...