Fuel Pump issue?

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the boat out today and the motor was having trouble staying running for. After a few minutes, I narrowed it down to a fuel issue, my primer bulb wasn't staying firm. the engine ran great as long as someone sat in the back squeezing the bulb several times a minute. I think it might be a fuel pump, but the boat was in the shop last week and they didn't mention anything about the fuel pump. Perhaps a fuel line/bulb issue? Any Ideas? Motor is a 1988 140hp Johnson FYI. Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Pump issue?

I would suspect the pump or an air intrusion in the lines.
Do a pump output test and see.

SparkieBoat

Captain

those pumps are junk, I just went on a rant about the extremely high failure rate of VRO pumps and the unnecessarily high cost of replacing them, I should invent a pump to replace them with for half the cost..I would be a millionaire in months. My 9 year old kid could design a more dependable pump..make sure you do not have air intrusion first, then google, vro rebuild kit, or the part number for a replacement.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your motor came with a VRO2 pump, which was a good pump, but it is a long time in service if you have the original. The gasoline side of the pump is serviceable with parts in two kits. The oil side and and electronics are not serviceable.

If you should decide to rebuild, do it with the idea of permanent use as a premix pump and block the oil side of the system carefully.

If you decide to replace, work with an authorized dealer so that you get the most current parts and not a ten year old unit that has been gathering dust in a bin somewhere.

The procedure for testing the VRO2 pump is charted here: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/vropics/VROflowchart.JPG

Before you condemn the pump, you might want to try connecting a portable tank of fuel with a different hose and primer bulb to help isolate the problem.