1987 Evinrude 30HP Impeller replacement

JesterRa72

Recruit
Hi, I've got an Evinrude '87 30hp (E30ELCUB) and I've taken it upon myself to replace the water pump which hasn't really been done since I at least owned the boat. That being said I've follow the manual faithfully and bought a repair kit but I'll be damned if I know how to get the impeller actually off.

I've got the drive shaft (which is fairly rusty so I"ve been going at it with PB Blaster) and the impeller. I can't seem to twist off the impeller, so I guess it's held on there,

1. can someone confirm what is holding it in and do I have to twist the impeller off with a wrench or is it a sliding action that does it?

2. Do I need any special keys?, (which didn't come with the repair kit and isn't mentioned in the manual)

3. Does this require an impeller puller?

I have attached a picture. I'm just trying to replace the thing, no idea what I'm doing.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1987 Evinrude 30HP Impeller replacement

Pull off the impeller, no twist action. The key is holding it on.
I just replaced the water pump on my 30hp '88.
I bought the OEM kit from BRP and the instructions say to remove the drive shaft. It makes taking the old impeller off much easier, as well as putting on a new one.
Now I will caution you, if you think you will damage your gear case somehow by removing the drive shaft then don't follow these instructions.

I pulled the drive shaft out of the gear case and gently tapped off the impeller.
If you want the instructions, PM me your email address. Good luck.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I use 2 flat head screw drivers to wedge it up..

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

If it has been a while since you changed it, you may have to cut it off CAREFULLY with a chisel. You will only be cutting the collar of the impeller. This is a fairly common problem with older johnny/Rudes down here in the salt water.

JesterRa72

Recruit

Do I slide it up the upper part of the shaft or the lower end? Thanks everyone!