Found a hole in the head of a johnson

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone I have a 1956 7.5 HP johnson and I was putting the head back on when I relized there was a hole in the core plug of the not sure if this hole belonges there or if I should replug it.
motor.jpg

Now mind you all this motor was giving to me with the head off so I dont know how it ran or if it even ran at all to me that core plug looks like someone drilled the hole.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Found a hole in the head of a johnson

Cannot quite relate your photo to the engine diagram.

there are three core plugs. If one is missing I'd guess cooling water will escape from the resulting hole.

Not been deliberately removed to fit a temp gauge or telltale?

See page 12 HERE

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

My johnsons always had a hole in it's head....ever since I was born it's been there.....sorry I just couldn't help myself...carry on.

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cannot quite relate your photo to the engine diagram.

there are three core plugs. If one is missing I'd guess cooling water will escape from the resulting hole.

Not been deliberately removed to fit a temp gauge or telltale?

See page 12 HERE
Thanks for your response That hole is the plug at the bottom of the head there is no room to put any temp gauge as it sit just about on the casing of the motor so I would assume then it should not be there

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I would assume then it should not be there
I reckon. Not clear from your picture is the core plug is missing or if it has a hole in it

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The core plug is missing. Get one from any Evinrude dealer and install it before putting head back on. Otherwise you'll have a water leak and have to remove the head again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

After looking at pict more closely the core plug may still be there. If it is, still pop it out and install new one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

From here, it looks to me like it is missing. But actually, I can't decide. Perhaps somebody put a steel core plug in it and it is rusted?

Anyhow, it absolutely is supposed to have a core plug, and it is not supposed to have a hole in it. You will have a gusher of water inside the cowling the way it is.

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info everyone I will replace then thanks for the second opioin.