johnson 18 hp missing carb linkage

bigmoe

Seaman
I just bought this engine and noticed Im missing a part of the accelerator linkage. Can anyone show me a picture or give me a p/n of what Im missing?
If you even have one I will be buy it.

My finger is holding the loose linkage that acctuates the butterfly.

DSC_0389.jpg

Another view.

DSC_0391.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to a broken plastic piece.

DSC_03908.jpg

Thank you so much guys.

bigmoe

Seaman
Re: johnson 18 hp missing carb linkage

After looking at the carb I think I figured it out. I need that new plastic piece which supports that linkage rod. Evinrude actually has it in stock but I will just fab one up myself.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the part is available and in stock, replace it with OEM. fabrication only leads to future failures, especially if you don't know exactly what it's supposed to look like. My $0.02

bigmoe

Seaman

If the part is available and in stock, replace it with OEM. fabrication only leads to future failures, especially if you don't know exactly what it's supposed to look like. My $0.02

I agree. I wish I had a picture of the oem part. I only saw it in a diagram on evinrudes website.

I looked at what it does again and I can make it. Im a machinist too:)

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

You didn't say what year your motor is but here are pics of my 1963 Evinrude 18HP. Not sure if they'll help or not but here they are.

Attachments

• HPIM0660.JPG
    HPIM0660.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0661.JPG
    HPIM0661.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0663.JPG
    HPIM0663.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 0

bigmoe

Seaman

You didn't say what year your motor is but here are pics of my 1963 Evinrude 18HP. Not sure if they'll help or not but here they are.

Thank you so much for taking pics. I ended up making one out of sheetmetal, works like a champ. My engine is a 65. Much appreciated.:)

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Now how about answering a question for me? :D What kind of camera/lens did you use to get those great close-ups in your pics? Or was it pic editing? They were a lot better than mine.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My cheapo cam has a "close-up" feature found through the settings, if you paid more than 80 bucks for yours i would assume you would have one too. Both sets of pics seemed pretty decent though.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is an older HP that I bought used. It has a "macro" setting which is what I used. When I tried to get any closer than what I got, I got a "TOO CLOSE TO FOCUS" warning and it wouldn't take a picture. I do have it set for the lowest megapixel setting when I post pics on here. Maybe I'll try a higher megapixel setting and I'll have to edit the pics after I get them on my computer to post them.

bigmoe

Seaman

Now how about answering a question for me? :D What kind of camera/lens did you use to get those great close-ups in your pics? Or was it pic editing? They were a lot better than mine.

Nikon d40 set on the macro function. Its been a really great camera. I didnt edit the pics either.