Replacing OMC control cables?

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to replace both control cables and can't get to the control box on the inside of the panel on my 1986 Doral Spirit. Got all screws loose and I think the screws in my head too!!!!

Any trick to remove the lever from the control box? If I pry from the top of the panel, I can see the box but I can't figure out how to get the panel off short of ripping it right off. I started to remove the staples at the seam just below the lever but not sure if this is the way to go.

Thanks anyone.

I try and do as much as I can to save money.
I'm going back out now to do more cussing.......
SM

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing OMC control cables?

Trying to replace both control cables and can't get to the control box on the inside of the panel on my 1986 Doral Spirit. Got all screws loose and I think the screws in my head too!!!!

Any trick to remove the lever from the control box? If I pry from the top of the panel, I can see the box but I can't figure out how to get the panel off short of ripping it right off. I started to remove the staples at the seam just below the lever but not sure if this is the way to go.

Thanks anyone.

I try and do as much as I can to save money.
I'm going back out now to do more cussing.......
SM

Could you post a picture of what you have, please.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is what it looks like. I have removed/backed off 6 screws in total. I cannot get to the back side of the panel. I have started to remove some staples at the seam below the lever but stopped because of unsure of next step. The three wires hanging are the trim control wires. Thanks in advance for your help. My engine is running great since the head and exhaust gaskets change.

SM

Attachments

• DSCF1025.jpg
    DSCF1025.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1026.jpg
    DSCF1026.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1027.jpg
    DSCF1027.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1028.jpg
    DSCF1028.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1029.jpg
    DSCF1029.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think that you have a conceled side mount control #0173644. You can see the diagram in OB Accessories, 1980, Remote controls, at the BRP parts catalog site. Just navigate to the pick list and select "OB accessories" where the default is Evinrude.

http://evinrude.cust.shopatron.com/

Once you have disconnected the remote from the wall, you have to be able to lift it, or drop it, or pull it back. Sorry, but that's a feature of the boat manufacturer's design and I'm not familiar with it.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks ezeke, that's exactly what my remote looks like, I went to the site. It's definitely concealed, lol. I phoned a local knowledgeable acquaintance tonight and he will come over and look at my set up tomorrow night, he has extensive OMC experience. I will try and post back with positive results and perhaps some more pics on how to get at this beast.

SM

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well in about an hour and a half, we had both cables installed. There are nuts that are accessed through the opening at the rear of the panels (near the passenger seat) and also under the dash in front of the the control box. He has done this before because he knew exactly where to look. You can't see the bolts because they're under the vinyl. Oh well, some more experience gained on my part. The only reason it took so long is because it wasn't easy to unscrew and screw the nuts back on, bit awkward positioning.
Thanks ezeke.
SM