87 120 Evinrude Timer Base? Electrical?

keithb40

Cadet
I have searched the forums for days and spent every evening at the dock for the past week and at my wits end. First I thought I was dropping a cylinder so replaced plug wires. Ran great for 2 weekends the things started happening. It would stall out after warming up and not want to restart. Now it takes forever to start and then once running when I shift into gear it dies. Followed forum suggestions and replaced filter, hose, and primer bulb thinking it was fuel restriction. No improvement. Rebuilt the carbs, no improvement. Now here is where it get weird, once I get it started, if I slowly shift into gear at low idle and rush to the back of the boat and move the throttle by hand... It runs great, how can this be?
I have removed the flywheel and the timer base and coil look like new.. no oozing of gunk or anything. I do not want to spend $250 on a hunch and have no tools to test.
Another weird thing, both the old and new primer bulb only work when I have them standing on end. When lying flat they do not pump up and get hard.. yet another brain teaser. Could it be a fuel pump issue? Could it be all of the above?
Any help would be appreciated, like I said, at the end of my ever loving rope here.

keithb40

Cadet
Re: 87 120 Evinrude Timer Base? Electrical?

Anything guys? Really need help here.

jonesg

Admiral

You need rudimentary tools to troubleshoot ,
a timing light will show if its dropping spark when running.

Go to autozone and buy a $12 spark GAP tester, set gap at 38th inch, remove all plugs and crank starter to test each coil for blue spark.

If it passes those tests try choking it when it wants to quit.
When it will not start inspect the plugs for raw fuel, try spraying fuel into carbs to bypass choke.

Fuel bulb sounds completely normal, they have a one way valve that works best if oriented up. Thats why it has an arrow.:)

Did you use a torque wrench to re-install the flywheel nut, if not the odds are the woodruff key has sheared and the timing is way off.

keithb40

Cadet

Jones, thanks for the reply. I just talked to a mechanic who has all the tools. I am meeting him at the boat this afternoon. After all the time and trouble the $100 will be worth it to have an expert take a look. As far as the flywheel, yes, torqued to spec but the mechanic also mentioned it sounded like a timing issue, probably the timer base but he will test it when he gets there. I will post results tonight after a stiff drink. Still do not understand the primer bulb issue though. It used to work on it's side, now it doesnt.

keithb40

Cadet

Well 3 hours with the mechanic and I'm all fixed now. It was a combination of things. The coil on cylinder 4 was weak, the carb on cylinder 1 was not getting enough gas, and the plugs were fowled from all the fiddling around I had done. This guy was amazing, he didnt give up until it ran like a new engine, and only charged me $130 plus parts. Anyone on Dale Holow lake, Cordell Hull, or Center Hill lake needs to call Jim's Marine out of Gainesboro Tennessee if they have trouble. I can't say enough good things about this man. $100 of the $130 included travel time, full diagnostics and minor adjustments. The other $30 was to remove the carb and adjust the float needle valve. I gave him an extra $20 because he did such a good job. Off to the lake now. Thanks to all and a special thanks to Jim. You are amazing!