Resurrection: The next step?

Doug0

Recruit
Been reading your terrific boards for two weeks, and I'm stuck.

Got a 1966 Evinrude 6HP as a throw-in to boat purchase and, being an electric user, let it sit 10 years. Now I'm trying to resurrect it using BoatBouy's Awakening FAQ.

So far I've:
Cleaned the fuel tank and put in fresh fuel, TCW-3 and engine cleaner
Replaced the plugs and verified sparks when pulling the starting cord
Sprayed inside the cylinders with TCW-3 and engine cleaner
Checked that fuel's coming out of the pump when using the primer bulb
Can easily rotate flywheel 180% with hands

Engine will not start for even a second. (Prop is in bucket of water.)

So I've ordered, but haven't received yet, a carb rebuild kit, a cork float (old one was varnish encrusted) and impeller.

My real question: Is there a next thing to try to see if it will likely ever run before I spend more? Engine's only worth about $200 even IF I get it to run, so I'm not going to buy anything expensive like a flywheel remover.

Other concern: (Don't know parts terminology here) Near the spark plugs is a triangular shaped box. What looks like white, fluffy corrosion is all around it. Anything I should do about that?

Thanks to any helpers,
Your Newbie
Doug0

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Resurrection: The next step?

hi.
well it coul be long story...
1a.check compresion if you get around 100 to 80 psi per cylinder then go further, check what do you have in gearcase(foot), if there is somthing what is not water then go further: buy carb kit, clean carb, arange flywheel puler and pull flywheel and change coils,condensers, points, and adjust points with gap .20", cables.change waterpump impeler, oil in gearcase nd washers under gearcase plugs
1b. if compresion is 60 or les then change powerhad gasket and check compresion, if compresion rise to 80,or 100 then go to step 1a.

if compresion is still 60 or les then you should change:

gasket under fuel pump, top seal and check copmpresioni f itis still 60 or les so there is need to take apart engin,and rings to change(overnominal should be instaled, all bearing,all gaskets.But its not that easy to take apart this old engine becouse of screws.its hard to unscrev this screws from aluminium.

this white leftover around triangular part is salt, and this triangular part is termostat cover, inside is termostat and termostat cover.it also should be replaced(termostat and gasket)
so everything is up of compresion

there is good article :
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm
and all tips 1b to..........
from http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's been sitting......... Before you go nuts rebuilding things.... pull the flywheel and clean the points. It's a free thing to do ;)

WadmalawJoe

Cadet

Fly-wheel puller aren't that expensive, I think I got one from a auto store for $20 or so. It's just a bracket and some bolts. A lot of places have loaner programs, you pay them the cost of the tool in case you don't return it, then return it when your done and they give you your money back. Fly wheels can be a son of a gun to remove, you should start spraying wd-40 or something similiar on the connection now and leave it soaked until you can get to it.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fly wheel puller, Harbor freight - $12

AlTn

Commander

#46...you'll also need 3...#8..2" or slightly longer 1/4" bolts ( I've forgotten the thread pitch ) with 3... #8 washers. I have that same puller set and at least one bolt will screw into the flywheel, you can take it with you to match up the #8's you'll need. When using the puller be sure you have the flat side, not the shouldered side, up...ask me how I know...

Doug0

Recruit

Oops, I kind of let the thread drift onto the wrong issue. It's not pulling the flywheel that's my primary problem, it's removing the nut without the wheel rotating.

I've seen contradictory web advice about the wisdom of using something like a screwdriver to jam it. A strap wrench long enough to encircle the wheel is $30 at Home Depot (one that isn't long enough is $5 at HFT).

Any better ideas?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay...it has spark, but is it a nice, fat blue spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap? If not, time to pull the flywheel and go through the ignition.
Before you do that, will it try to fire if you just spritz some fuel/oil mix into the carb throat, or directly in the cylinders? If so, you probably have a dirty or mis-adjusted carb.
I'll probably get thrashed for recommending this, but you can pull a plug, rotate the flywheel until that piston is backed off, then feed some rope into the cylinder until the flywheel won't turn. Then loosen the flywheel nut. Then put your harmonic balancer puller ($15 from auto parts stores) into play...Bob's your uncle.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, don't use a screwdriver, that's a bad idea.

My wife and I pulled the flywheel on my 72 6HP. We used a long strap wrench and the 3 bolt flywheel/gear puller. She held the strap wrench while I tightened the puller. Worked really well and in about 3 minutes had the flywheel off.

I can see that 1 person could hold a strap wrench and tightne the puller, but that is really ackward.

Doug0

Recruit

It started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Takes a couple of pulls, but the motor runs now.
Never did get the flywheel nut off.

So now have to adjust the needle speed and replace the impeller and lube in the lower unit. Then it's time for an actual water trial (with an extra electric along to come back with.)