2000 115 Johnson still stalling

MnGrandpa

Cadet
Greetings, my stalling problem persists...have recieved excellent advice from bob johnson but no luck. I just think I am not getting enough gas but its tricky since I can fly like the wind at 5000 rpm no problem as long as I keep it up but once I stop and try to go again it poops...until I push the choke then we kick in. Every time I restart after fishing a bit I have to pump the heck out of the bulb again. Now Im reading horror stories about blowing my engine if not getting enough fuel. How can it go so well top end without enough fuel? Built in tank not getting air? In the old days if something didnt get enough air you drilled a hole in the cover...I dont suppose that passes for modern technology. At a slow cruise (just above idle doing the pontoon cruise the shore trick) will go fine awhile then falter and I have to push the choke again then we're good for awhile. Well bob or any other in the know types...should i drill a hole in the tank cover? Does this have a fuel pump which may be getting elderly...like me? recap...as long as I go top end I can boogie till the tank is empty...once I stop or try to go slow Im pushing the choke frequently.
frustrated grandpa in MN

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 115 Johnson still stalling

I wouldnt think its an over all fuel delivery problem..ie gast tank, fuel filter, fuel line issue, because if you can do 5000 rpms all day long, you are moving fuel like crazy!!!!!!

no blockage or restrictions there...which comes back to other things, like low speed adjustment on the carb..or a dirty low speed passage...

I am just answering because I have a similar motor and have played around with it, not because i am an expert !!!!

of all the motors i have i read the threads that talk about them...and offer a reply if i think it will help or no one else is replying..

I come here for help myself ALOT!! ha ha

you probably just need a carb tune up- rebuild or maybe just an adjustment...

in the manual they have proceedures for adjusting.

I am reading my 1995n book which is the same motor basically..BUT may have slight changes...carbs being a big possibility

but they say the intial setting is for low speed mixture is three turns OFF seated..

and the boat needs to be in th water and unrestricted from moving

NOT ON MUFFS!!!!!

adjust after running at idle once engine is warmed up and has idled for at least three minutes

you are trying to achive the highest rpm,, but with out a rich or lean condition...

and you have to do it to all four carbs....

leave a lot of time to play with it!!!!

I ike to adjust my motor in very shallow water..like 2 feet..in case i drop any tools overboard!!!!!

I played musical thermostats this weekend with four t-stats, trying to solve a hot head( motor , not quite me!) and I kept rolling into the sandy beach to nmake adjustments!!!

good luck

bob