help with 71 60hp johnson with elec shift

sasanm

Seaman
Just got the boat back in the water after a 3 year rebuild project and I am having problems with the outboard. the issue is I can not rev it to get it warmed up. When I have the switch on the shifter to start I remember being able to move the throttle foward to rev the motor until it warmed up. Once warm I would put the throttle back to center and move the switch to run. Is this correct. (Again it has been three years) Now when I have the switch to start or run and I throttle the shifter foward it engages the motor to move forward so I can not rev the motor with out it ingaging. I hope this makes sense. Other wise the motor is running fine but I have to take off the cover and rev the motor using the linkage until it is warm. Any ideas would be great.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: help with 71 60hp johnson with elec shift

You are trying the use the combination shift/throttle lever as a warm up lever. That isn't going to work with the Johnson remote control, because as soon as you move the lever forward, it will move a toggle switch inside of the unit, which will shift the motor into forward.

That said,the control has a warm up lever, so you don't need to use the main handle. The warm up lever is the small lever at the back of the control box.

???

sasanm

Seaman

Jay,
Thanks for the quick reply. Are you refering to the lever in the back that says Start (lever up) and run (lever down) or the little toggle switch far back near the bottom.(choke?) if it is the lever with the start and run it appears that mind does nothing. I can move it up and down and I get nothing and the motor just sits at idle??

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

Take the control box back apart. Something isn't connected correctly. That arm acts off the same cable your shifter does for the throttle.

sasanm

Seaman

Thanks, that makes sense. I will look at it tonight.