Need more information on my 72 Evinrude 50hp starter

christal

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, need a bit more help with my starter. Let me first tell you all what happens when I try to turn her over, the little gear that rises to turn the big wheel on top (thinking that is the flywheel, but not sure) just spins it won't rise up and engage the big wheel. I proceeded to tap the side of the starter a few times and voila!! she started right up. Is the rod that holds the small gear and goes into the starter called the bendix? If so can I use 2 in 1 oil to stop her from sticking?

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need more information on my 72 Evinrude 50hp starter

The small gear is the bendix and I have use wd40 and also sprayed one with a lubricant after getting it free. You may also be having problem with starter itself. Mine was sticking on a 72' 65 hp and ended up needing a starter.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The shaft should be very clean - no grease of any kind. A drop of very light oil (like sewing machine oil) is preferred. The OEM oil for the shaft is mostly mineral oil. Don't let the oil run into the starter motor.

christal

Seaman Apprentice

This OEM oil that you refered to ezeke, I can use this on the shaft that goes into the starter?...I take it that it is a special oil just for boat motors, would wal-mart carry it or do I have to go to a marine shop to get it?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I have used sewing machine oil for the last thirty years - I "borrow" it from the lady of the house.

GE Versilube was sold as OMC/BRP part number 337016 from your authorized BRP/Evinrude dealer.