40 EVINRUDE Problem

salmonslayer715

Recruit
I've recently ran into a problem with my 40 hp Evinrude motor and I'm looking for some guidance. The other day I was out on the water just cruising along fine when the motor just died on me. Before the motor died the throttle and starter console beeped continously. I tried several times to start motor after that but no luck. Also every once in a while that console would beep. I believe that alarm is for low oil or engine over heating. The oil was low so I recently filled up thinking that would solve the problem. When I used the other day the motor turned over and run fine till I wanted to move to another fishing spot. Then it started beeping again so now I'm at a loss for answers. I believe it has something to do with that oil sensor but not positive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 EVINRUDE Problem

A steady constant beep indicates overheating. Apparently you ran the engine until it got hot enough to seize. You now have a bunch of loose bolts on that powerhead, especially the head bolts.

You need to install a complete water pump kit assembly before running that engine again.

It would be a good idea to remove the cylinder heads, clean the sealing surfaces, and install new head gaskets. The head bolt torque is 18 to 20 foot pounds to be tightened in the following sequence.

salmonslayer715

Recruit

The beep isn't constant and seems to happen only once in awhile. I also haven't ran engine really at all this year cause this problem just started. The water pump seems to be working fine when the engine was running. Thanks for the info.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

When was the impeller last replaced?
By "steady beep" it means that it goes "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" and not "Beep----Beep-----Beep----"

When the motor cools down, the beep will go away.

salmonslayer715

Recruit

Its a continous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. I'm guessing the impellor has never been changed.