Simple tilt/trim question, I hope

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
76' 135hp Johnson. Getting ready to repair the tilt/trim and was curious: what is the electrical connector on the left outer ram if standing with motor in front of you? The previous owner had the wire laying in the bilge and I really want to do this right. I assume it may be a low fluid sensor or tilt degree sensor? And where does it hook up to since its only a sincle wire.

Thanks as always - Jody

scooterDo

Cadet
Re: Simple tilt/trim question, I hope

On my 1976 115 HP there is a MECHANICAL mechanism which slows the tilt speed down considerably to use the motor for trim.
As far as wiring goes there is a relay that is involved. I believe the down trim uses the relay but not really sure..

Look up tilt and trim part diagram for your motor and you
should find it on the internet.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an PDF manual for rudes and johnson but cannot seem to find what that electrical connection is for on the diagrams. I wanna do this right, so hopefully someone knows where this goes.

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

Are you guys sure about the year model. I looked in the BRP parts and they don't show either model for 1976 johnson.

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

Brp shows the 115 and 135 uder 1975. Go to libertymarinesc.com and click on links and then the BRP link. Find the page for the 135 under 1975 and look at tilt and trim break down. See if you can find it there.:)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The wire from the trim cylinder is for the trim gauge, if you use one.

BRP left the Johnson model out but they definitely existed. Use the Evinrude catalog - same motor, different paint.

Click the thumbnail twice, please.

BTW, there are no relays in that system. They used a solenoid for raising the motor but lowering was done through the switch.

Attachments

• 3 Wire.JPG
    3 Wire.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the wire from the trim cylinder is for the trim gauge, if you use one.

Brp left the johnson model out but they definitely existed. Use the evinrude catalog - same motor, different paint.

Click the thumbnail twice, please.

Btw, there are no relays in that system. They used a solenoid for raising the motor but lowering was done through the switch.

the previous fool had this wired without a solenoid i believe, at least not one i can find. Where can i purchase this solenoid so that i can wire this properly??
Thanks again for all your great knowledge - jody

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the best way to wire that is with a reversing solenoid. There are threads in this forum dealing with that if you use the search function and " reversing solenoid".

I made an alteration in the diagram to show how one might use two solenoids so that a lighter switch could be used. See the thumbnail.

The wiring and solenoid kit is part # 0172871, around $65 US from your BRP dealer. The Arco SW774 is a good substitute for the individual solenoid: http://www.iboats.com/Chrysler-Mari...0661775--**********.343820063--view_id.185279

Attachments

• 3 Wire 2 solenoid.JPG
    3 Wire 2 solenoid.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 0