Fuel Line Routing on a OMC Sea Drive

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there any information/pictures out there on how the exact ful line routing should be on a Sea Drive unit? i changed out all the fuel/oil lines and thought I routed them exactly like they were but I am thinking I am pinching off the fuel line when trimmed in?
I have an RPM surge problem with my engine only when it is trimmed all the way in and is acting like it is fuel starved. Revs up and then falls off, reves up and then falls off. I can rectify this by trimming the motor up about 1/4-1/2 of the way up with out backing off on the throttle but then it is hard to plane.
Also noticed this problem only when the boat is loaded heavy (weight/people).

Does this sound like a feaseable issue?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Line Routing on a OMC Sea Drive

actually sounds like carb float & needle problem. tilting up, throws the carbs out of level, thus the float needle opens. when lowered the carbs are level, and mis-adjusted, will close and not allow full fuel flow.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was my thought at first also, rebuilt the carbs on friday and had the same problem yesterday. I'm at a bit of a loss here??????

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about a loose Pulse Line at the Engine????

Pulled the carbs again and when I went to move the VRO out of the way to get to the lower carb nuts I notices the pulse line swivel on the blue arrester that is screwed into the block, went to look a little further and pull the line loose with very little effort, almost no effort.
Reintalled everythng and it seemed to start better and idle better.

Could this have been a major problem? Guess I'll have to wait till next Saturday when the boat is loaded again to truly find out.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

What you probably had was air leaking into the sytem from the loose hose. That would feed extra air into the pulse cylinder and make it run lean. It's good that you found it when you did, but do a compression check to be sure that you did not burn that piston.

BTW, Sea Drive parts catalogs are on-line here: http://www.crowleymarine.com/omc_sea_drive_parts.cfm

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ezeke!

Did the compression check last night and all cylinders are running about 119 psi.
I should have looked at this line sooner, checked everything else from th tank to the engine but forgot about the pulse line.

Took it out to a local lake last night and she ran great, even got it up to 38 mph which is where it used to run all the time on my old Wellcraft 180 Fisherman.

Thanks for making me think!!

Larry