1976 115 HP Johnson Lower unit installation

scooterDo

Cadet
Hi,

I was replacing my impeller in the above mentioned 115 HP Johnson (1976) motor. Got the lower unit off after much difficulty and found the impeller in good shape but the key that drives it was GONE! MISSING, Not to be found! I found a new key at the local hardware store and replaced it and put the new impeller in also, since it was already apart.

When I tried to get the lower unit back on is where the trouble really started. I aligned the main drive shaft splines by turning the fly wheel and could feel it engage but the lower unit refused to go up far enough to bolt in.

Finally I got a good flashlight and looked in the under side of the motor (where I was trying to align the lower unit to and saw two copper tubes that apparently are suppose to align to the impeller housing. How this is suppose to be accomplished I don't have a clue. It seems impossible considering you have to align the main drive shaft while guiding the gear shift rod through it's hole in the motor cover. Besides, Not that had tried to get it to go together without knowledge of the two tubes they are badly mis shaped.

Then I thought if I could get access to the top of the tubes I could loosen them then connect them to the impeller housing and align it and start the bolts after which i could reconnect the tubes at the top (wherever that might be).

My problem is that I can't find where the top of these two tubes can be accessed from.

Can anyone here help me? My manual covers several models and this particular assembly isn't shown.

How can I possibly align these two copper tubes into the impeller housing while trying to align everything else at the same time? There must be a way to access the tubes from the top but I can't find where.

Your help here would be greatly appreciated. I live on a disability pension and can't possibly afford a mechanic.

Thanks,
ScooterDo

scooterDo

Cadet
Re: 1976 115 HP Johnson Lower unit installation

I I have researched some more and found that there should have been two groumets on the end of the copper pipes and they join to the impeller housing.

I swear there were no gromets there when I disassembled it.

Is there any place I can buy just the grommets?

Thanks

scooterDo

Cadet

Is there anyone who can give me help on reinstalling the lower unit of this motor?

Am I missing the grommets or are there even suppose to be grommets?

Can I access the water tubes and if so how?

Thanks for any help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There should be two guides on the copper tubes - they get pushed up when you work on the unit so look up higher on the water tubes and see if they are there. If they are, just pull them down.

The guides are part number 314765 and 314081. If your BRP authorized dealer does not have one, buy two of the other.

There are also two short rubber grommets that should be seated in the water pump housing ; they form a seal on the water tubes as the tubes are inserted: part #314832. These grommets are included in the complete water pump kit, but the guides are not.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B.../CHROME PUMP KITS 85, 100 & 125 HP/parts.html

scooterDo

Cadet

ezeke,

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

I bought the boat/motor 3+ years ago and until the overheat issue just 3 weeks ago it has only given me minor suspected problems.

Like I said, I can't afford a real marine mechanic so your help saved my butt.

I'll look further up and I'll bet the guides are there. Can't imagine what happened to the grommets unless they just disintegrated over all these years.

I'll order the new parts from the link you provided.

Thanks
scooterDo