Problem with a 86 150GT

Outsidesmoke

Recruit
First I'll give you a little background information.

I pulled my boat out of storage for the first time in 5 years. I decided to change the water pump, gearcase fluid, clean the carbs, and change the fuel lines. When I got all the put back together I discovered 2 problems. The first was the 5/16th hose I was using was leaking on several conections even with ratchet clamps. The second was whenever I pumped the ball, gas would come out of the top carb. So I switched all the fuel lines to 1/4th and found that the cap you hammer into the carb came out.

Now whenever I turn off the motor some gas spills out of the top carb. While its running no gas comes out. Is this normal?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Problem with a 86 150GT

Don't know for sure but I thought the fuel hose was 3/8th inch.
If the frost plugs leak , air will get in and make for lean condition.
Either get new ones or peen it a bit to seal.
If you pump the bulb and the carb leaks that says the float isn't sealing.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem with a 86 150GT

I'd go back to the original size fuel hose under the cowling. 1/4" hose will restrict fuel flow at top end and can damage that engine. Many of those hoses bend around corners and are specially made by the factory with special part numbers so they don't kink, restricting fuel flow. If you use bulk hose it can kink when bending around corners. You may need a new float and needle and seat in the top carb.