evinrude carb cleaning, now wont start

hey everyone i hav a 1996 evinrude v4 60 degree loop charged 90 hp. i recently clened out all carbs and went to run the boat today. i started it up one try and it sat for about 5 mins in neutral just idling perfect. i gave it a bit of gas while in neutral to let some gas run through the motor at about 1200 rpms. after 2 minutes of this i came down back to neutral and the engine shut off. i tried to start it again and no luck. i tried several times and it started once for about 3 seconds and then shut off. when i turn the key i here the starter engage and turn the flywheel it sounds like its gonna start and then just dies with a weird noise like a screatch. (eeeeaiiirrr). thast the noise it makes. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thank you

jonesg

Admiral
Re: evinrude carb cleaning, now wont start

Could be flooding out, that will cause the engine to pop and the starter to disengage and wind down, sounds like the noise you heard.

When it happens, remove the plugs and hit the starter, watch for excessive fuel spraying out the sparkplug holes.

If so, the floats in the carbs are set wrong or stuck open or you're flooding it with the choke, or choke is leaking etc.

If you can pump the bulb up firm and no fuel drips from the carb throats I would look at the choke solenoid , the repair kit for the choke is $12 or so.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

floats not properly adjusted, or linc n sinc needed.

Could be flooding out, that will cause the engine to pop and the starter to disengage and wind down, sounds like the noise you heard.

When it happens, remove the plugs and hit the starter, watch for excessive fuel spraying out the sparkplug holes.

If so, the floats in the carbs are set wrong or stuck open or you're flooding it with the choke, or choke is leaking etc.

If you can pump the bulb up firm and no fuel drips from the carb throats I would look at the choke solenoid , the repair kit for the choke is $12 or so.

okay i have a couple questions my first is the choke solenoid, that is the solenoid that has a little red handle and has power ran to it correct? i noticed this had a small amount of lubricant coming from it. wut do i need just a gasket for the top peace? iknow its getting power i checked it. and also when i pump the ball i can feel it harden up and i can see no gas leaking from the throats area, however is there some certain way to put the float covers back on? i did not mess with the floats themseleves, just sprayed them down with carb cleanear.and last, is it possible that my starter is not coming back down and in turn stil making contact with the flywheel? then causing that screeach noise and shutting off the motor? possible greasing may be necessary. thank you for your help

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

did you remove the carbs and dissasemble them???

or did you just spary cleaner into them while they were on the motor???

the choke should NOT be your problem.. the motor started when it was cold!!!!

was the motor yours and running good previously???

bob

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK, lets start right at the beginning, was there OIL in the fuel? a screech does not sound good, remove the plugs and have a look at them, are they wet, dry, burned? try to turn the motor by hand, is it free or tight? was the water pump working? do all the easy stuff before you start creating another possible fault.

no i took al carbs apart and cleaned them all put them all back together and it started up and ran great for a bit in neutral til it stalled and then this problem started. i have had this motor for 3 years and it has never given me problems until this winter it sat for 5 months and now im paying the consequences. there is plenty oil in gas and fuel water seperater works fine gas is clean. it sounds like the starter is not dis engaging and is still making contact with the flywheel i will check this tom. it sounds like its coming from the starter

i tried taking off the starter today but it seems like there is a mission of flywheel coers and throttle pieaces that must come off first. i took three bolts off starter to see if i can pul it out from under the flywheel cover but it feels stuck. i am no mechanic but i feel like the starter is not coming back down and is in continuous contact with the flywheel. the motor is not flodded and is well lubricated the noise i hear is coming from the starter. any feedback would be great, i have a new thread started i know its turning into a new one.

papaterk

Seaman Apprentice

Manual states you should lube the stater shaft occasionally. Look at the starter and where the shaft is exposed (looks like a barber pole), shoot it with some lube and it should free up.

Manual states you should lube the stater shaft occasionally. Look at the starter and where the shaft is exposed (looks like a barber pole), shoot it with some lube and it should free up.

i tried hitting it with some wd 40 and cranking th motor but no luck. the starter is enclosed by the flywheel cover so yo are kind of limited to what you can see.

jonesg

Admiral

Get a factory service manual first,
www.outboardbooks.com

then I think you will need a flywheel cover gasket , fixing the starter will not be hard but you want to make sure you know its done right and by the book.