Paint and Decal for a 1955 Johnson

JAPK

Cadet
I posted up here on a power head for my 55 johnson 5.5. Being I am taking it down. I am going to repaint it and put new decals on it. I was wondering where does a person get these items. I want the wright color of paints the green and white fizz can or paint code works for me. Now where do I get a good set of decals for it ..It is a 5.5hp. I would like to shine and look like new.

Please help
JAK

JAPK

Cadet
Re: Paint and Decal for a 1955 Johnson

And a list of Part suppliers for this vintage johnson

Thanks

ovnic1234

Seaman

nymarine.ca

They carry paint as well as decals. Be prepared to pay. I was considering repainting and applying new decals, but found it much, much, much cheaper to to find a better looking replacement cowl on the poplular internet auction site.

You could wait and paint it come Winter, it's getting awefully nice out. Good luck, those are nice looking motors

JAPK

Cadet

Thanks I will check out there web site.

Thank you for replying
JAPK

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say go for it, restore it as they are real pretty and have that art deco look. I have a 1954 5.5 CD-11, see picture below of it with new paint and decals. It was far to expensive to order the paint for it from Canada due to the shipping hazmat fees, and the fact that the prices in Canada are so inflated. Instead I went to a local autobody paint supplier who matched it and made up 2 spray cans for me, along with the remainder in a pint can, and sold me a spray can of clear coat as well. The decals were $40.00 from American Outboard Supply. http://www.americanoutboard.com/index.html Your is a CD-12 if it is a 1955, and will have cream trim on the cowl wings. I contemplated doing mine for a couple years, and once it was done, there was no question that it was the right decision. :p

Attachments

• 1954johnson[1].jpg
    1954johnson[1].jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3

JAPK

Cadet

Nice looking motor jmendoza.Thanks for the link to the decals.But how did you get the paint code..What brand of paint did you use and paint code,so I can have some made up.I would really like that if you could do that for me,or how did you get your paint code?
Anyone out there know the paint code if the crean for the 1955 5.5hp Johnson..I would really like it..

Thanks for the replies

JAPK

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If your motor is in running condition, just go to the nymarine.ca web site and order paint and decals from them. Their paint is the best quiality around and their decals are far better than anyone else's. You may pay more but you won't have to do it again.

JAPK

Cadet

Ok,I would like to use ppg paint I just wish I could get the paint codes for the green and cream colors..

Thank for the reply
JAPK

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used PPG Paint. There is no paint code for the Sea Horse green, but I will tell you it's a very fine silver metalflake base, that is the key, start with a fine grained silver base or else it will look too glittery. What I had to do was take the power head to my local autobody paint store where they matched it by mixing. You could use the air box/silencers if the paint on them is still good for a sample.

I'm not sure about what the above coment about having to "do it again" is about, as I had no problems with decal adhesion or the paint for that matter. Engine is on it's third season now and the finish is holding up fine.

Anyway, they charged me $25.00 for the custom mix, $10.00 each per spray can, and put the remainder in a pint can for me. With an extra can of clear coat, it cost me $50.00. Decals were about $40.00 so the refinish cost was around $100.00 including masking and sandpaper, and chromate primer. I screwed up one Sea Horse decal applying it, they sent me a new one free, nice guys!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure about what the above coment about having to "do it again" is about, as I had no problems with decal adhesion or the paint for that matter. Engine is on it's third season now and the finish is holding up fine.

Anyway, they charged me $25.00 for the custom mix, $10.00 each per spray can, and put the remainder in a pint can for me. With an extra can of clear coat, it cost me $50.00. Decals were about $40.00 so the refinish cost was around $100.00 including masking and sandpaper, and chromate primer. I screwed up one Sea Horse decal applying it, they sent me a new one free, nice guys!

I've restored several dozen motors and used many of the paints available. Rattle cans like Krylon go on well and look nice, but just don't have the long term durability. One important criteria is that the paint also be gasoline proof. Thus, you may want to or have to paint it over in a few years.

The only paint I have been satisfied with (other than the NY marine) was the high temp NAPA engine enamel. However, they have limited color choices.

As far as decals, NY marine shines there again. They do not selll a water slide lacquor decal, but rather sell what might be called more of a sticker. They go on easy, are near impossible to screw up, and last longer, being less susceptible to scratching.

No, I don't work there...I just appreciate a product that works well.

Their decals are about the same as the others in cost. Their paint is about $20 a can, so an ordinary 2 color motor would cost about $60. The first motor I did with their paint has so far taken 3 first place awards at boat shows.