1986 90hp johnson stalling...pleasee helpp!

johnson426

Seaman
hey guys I bought an used 1986 90 hp johnson which seems in really good condtion but I installed it on my boat and put in a fresh set of ngk plugs gapped at .30 and a set of wires and fresh gas and took the boat out and when I go to give it more than 3/4 throttle it will just die. I messed with the throttle fiction cable which seems to help it but im not sure because now it goes to full throttle but not moving fast at all, also when I sprayed carb cleaner right into the the top right cylider which makes the boat go faster...could it be that its not getting fuel into that cylinder or spark ? im new to the boats so if someone can help me out that would be greatly appericated.thanks!

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 90hp johnson stalling...pleasee helpp!

I would start by cleaning (soaking) the carbs.
When the motor starts to die at full throttle have someone squeeze the primer ball repeatedly and see if that makes a difference. Your symptoms point to a lean condition which will eventually damage your motor.

johnson426

Seaman

yeah i will deff try that but as far as soaking the carbs should I just take the back cover off and open the throttle and spray in or actually take the carbs off ? thanks!

johnson426

Seaman

also could it be really gummed up and causing this ?

Craftsman_85

Seaman

you should take them off to clean them and yes if your carbs are clogged it restricts your fuel affecting the performance of the motor taking them off is the only way to ensure a thorough job.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

yeah i will deff try that but as far as soaking the carbs should I just take the back cover off and open the throttle and spray in or actually take the carbs off ? thanks!

Remove carbs, disassemble, then soak them in carb cleaner overnight, make sure there are no plastic or rubber parts left on them or they will disintigrate. Do 1 at a time if you are not familiar with this repair, that way if you cant remember how to reassemble, you have the other 1 for reference.

johnson426

Seaman

hey guys I figured out the problem..the carbs were just really clogged up..i took it off and cleaned it out and put it back in a day and she runs great..thanks guys for all the help!