decarb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Decarb

i would do a decarb, then if it did not come up, the head gasket.
Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

AlTn

Commander
Re: decarb

TD....has that 25 got you hearing voices? j/k...btw...what is the status of that little jewel?

combat

Cadet

I was just curious...on cars/trucks they say that you should only use seafoam while the engine is running to prevent hydrolock...does this not apply here?

AlTn

Commander

with the pistons on a horizontal plane and ports instead of valves, most of the seafoam will exit/drain from the exhaust ports when you pull or crank the engine thru...now if you put a couple of ounces in each sparkplug hole you might wanna make that first turnover with the plugs still out, but that much seaform/cylinder is a little much

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

I was wondering...during a de carb process...in the smaller tank with sea foam mix and fuel...can you add some Berry B12 to the mix also since it does clean a little better then sea foam in the fuel system...

Al

coolguy147

Commander

I was wondering...during a de carb process...in the smaller tank with sea foam mix and fuel...can you add some Berry B12 to the mix also since it does clean a little better then sea foam in the fuel system...

Al

berryman b12 or whatever is bad for rubber parts. it will degrade them. (fuel pumps diaphrams and needles gaskets etc.)

if it really does help clean the engine better why don't you pour it into the cylinder directly? but i'm not sure if it was made for a decarbing agent......

i like to put the enitre can in a gallon of gas and then buy deep creep for spraying into the carbs and cylinders but that's a weee bit mroe expensive:D

stubone

Cadet

I had a Evinrude 85 90 that had been sitting a while .
I took it out and it was not pretty, RPM's only about 2700 and 17 mph
Even 2 years ago when I ran it a bunch I could only 27 MPH's at 5200
I cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner and sprayed the cylinder heads . cranked it a bunch of times. Then I misted sea foam in to the cylinders let it sit then cranked a few times. I cleaned the internal fuel filter and Installed a outside clear line filter. The gas I got was 87 and i put Marine stable and seafoam in the gas.
After this I got new spark plugs and wires. I cranked the baby up and it fired right up. It was a little smokey by running good. I then misted the Carbs with seafoam. Took the plug out and Misted the cylinders with seafoam and fired it up again. I took my 17 Whaler out to the lake and it was like I had a new motor! The thing was flying at about 40 +mphs 5000 RPMS.
The speedometer was only 35 MPH and was sitting on the 5MPH post!
This proceedure has made my speedometer obsolete.
Seafoam is great stuff.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

.............The thing was flying at about 40 +mphs 5000 RPMS.

That makes no sense that the engine could hit the same RPM and go that much faster
After all, the prop was spinning the same speed both times
:rolleyes:

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe he still had his anchor out.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I am a little confused. Take it out for the wide open spin while using the one gallon with sea foam or after it's run through the engine?

GatorMike

Ensign

I had a Evinrude 85 90 that had been sitting a while .
I took it out and it was not pretty, RPM's only about 2700 and 17 mph
I cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner and sprayed the cylinder heads . cranked it a bunch of times. Then I misted sea foam in to the cylinders let it sit then cranked a few times. I cleaned the internal fuel filter and Installed a outside clear line filter. The gas I got was 87 and i put Marine stable and seafoam in the gas.
After this I got new spark plugs and wires. I cranked the baby up and it fired right up. It was a little smokey by running good. I then misted the Carbs with seafoam. Took the plug out and Misted the cylinders with seafoam and fired it up again. I took my 17 Whaler out to the lake and it was like I had a new motor! The thing was flying at about 40 +mphs 5000 RPMS.
The speedometer was only 35 MPH and was sitting on the 5MPH post!
This proceedure has made my speedometer obsolete.
Seafoam is great stuff.

This does not make a lot of sense to me, if you were getting 27mph at 5200 RPM how could you get 40 MPH at 5000 RPMs without changing props? Am I missing something?

tashasdaddy

"Take it out for the wide open spin while using the one gallon with sea foam?" yes, burn the fuel use the rest in the tank, then fresh fuel/oil/ and new seafoam mixed according to maintainance schedule on the can. it will keep a clean engine clean. also change to new Champion plugs QL77JC4 gapped at .030.

the decarb will ruin the old plugs.

stubone

Cadet

It was in 2007, the last time I ran my whaler with my 85 Evinrude 90 v4 I could be wrong about the RPMs I was pretty sure that I got over 4500 and peak speed of 25 to 30. I do know that the peak RPMs 5500, I have never hit that. Thanks for pointing out the relationship of RPMs with speed. Correction noted.
However , after the Decarb and tuneup with new sierra wires and the NGK procedure mentioned above, My old Evinrude acted like a new engine . The performance gain in top speed and acceleration was astounding to me. My whaler never took off like take before. 40 MPH is my estimate based the Speedometer which was past 35 and bumping on the 5MPh knob. My garmin 168 was on the fritz so I could no get a GPS reading. However this had made me a believer in Seafoam, marine stable and a duplicate filter on the fuel line.

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to concur that B12 ruins fuel lines. I learned this the hard way so you don't have to. Either don't do it or plan to replace everything rubber in the near future.

jarvisd

Cadet
Re: decarb spray the carburator?

i would do a decarb, then if it did not come up, the head gasket.
Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck
__________________[/QUOTE]I have a mercury 1976 115 -I plan to do the sea foam in the fuel but was wondering if I can spray deep creep (sea foam) into the 3 carburators directly-do I need to remove face plate and -or filters- (if any)?

jarvisd

Cadet

I have a mercury 76 115-I plan to use concentrated sea foam in the gas mixture but wondered about spraying deep creep into the carburators (3s) and do I remove the face plates and -or- filter (if any) I am new to boat motors

JB

jarvis, it is strongly discourage here to reply to old, old threads. If your post redirects attention to your particular case it is called hijacking, and it is forbidden.

Please use SEARCH to find the information, then start your own, new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.