Evinrude Powerhead Removal 175 HP 1990

Bluffdweller

Recruit
I am attempting to remove a 175 HP 1990 Evinrude V6 powerhead.The model number is E175TXESE. I have the lower unit off and have removed a total of 6 bolts from the sides of the powerhead. Two from each side on the forward part of the powerhead and one from each side towards the rear of the powerhead. I have also removed the three nuts from the studs located towards the rear of the powerhead. The "SELOC" manual (I know I should have bought Evinrude's Service Manual) states that these are all of the bolts/nuts that need to be removed. I have the lower cowl cover removed and see several bolts that looks like they could be attached through the exhaust housing. I have tried to free up the powerhead but can not get it to budge. I disconnected the shift linkage when I removed the lower unit. Could there be any other bolts holding the powerhead in position that the manual has neglected to mention? I really need to get this powerhead off in order to ship it out when rebuilt unit arrives. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

daselbee

Commander
Re: Evinrude Powerhead Removal 175 HP 1990

There are a total of six, three on each side, very large bolts, that extend thru the exhaust adapter into the block. They are 9/16 heads (I think) and are about 8 to 10inches long.

It sounds like you got all the smaller peripheral bolts and missed the bigguns.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 87 175TLCU had 2 nuts and bolts located right under the lower carb as well. They were only 7/16 socket size I think and hard to see, but then it came off!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Did you remove all the long 5-6 inch bolts?look on the Bombardier (BRP)website and compare the mounting hardware to what you took off.There are If I Remember,a total of 6 long 5-6 inch. 3 on each side ,3 nuts on rear(maybe 4,Its been a while.The two bolts and 2 nuts up under forward section.The front ones could have been changed over the years to all bolts or nuts ,but look for 4.You also have the smaller 7/16 bolts that go thru the rubber mounts to the side of the intake manifold.BUT,its not uncommon for them to get stuck to the point you need pressure lifting directly from the center of the flywheel.You should use a flywheel puller ,but,use a lifting eye thru center.if the powerhead has a awkward lift ,it will bind,you may also need lifting bars to help it.What happens is ,salt,sand,corrosion build up around the studs,even with the nuts off,that crud can hold it like a weld.Seen it many times.If you sure all the mounting hardware is off,make sure you have a center pull with a good powerlift ,then use a crow bar or prybar type to help it