1991 evinrude 225 hp

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello, i just joined this site. i just purchased a 1984 grady white 20 ft fisherman model 204 it came with a 1991 evinrude 225 hp, the owner had told me the engine threw a magnet from the fly wheel and damaged the stator, i have purchased a new fly wheel and looking for the stator, my question is is there any thing else that i should be looking for i am not that up on bigger engines.
a little history. the engine was repowered 2 yrs ago and the damage happend after a couple of runs later, any comment would be very helpfull.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1991 evinrude 225 hp

I would definately get the factory service book and torque the flywheel nut correctly or it will snap the woodruff key, do it by the book.
www.outboardbooks.com
Thats the best $50 you'll spend on a boat.

Follow the break-in proceedure in the book.
I think the heads need re-torquing after a certain number of hours(10?),
no WOT for the first ten hrs or something like that.
Its all in the book.:)

daselbee

Commander

Not sure what ol' jonesg is talking about here....I don't see anywhere in the original post about this being a re-built powerhead.
Do get a factory service manual, though. Not a Clymer or Seloc.

Anyway, it is a good engine. The flywheels are not too bad to get off, but you absolutely need a tough, beefy puller, not a toy. Get a good one.

The flywheel nut is torqued to 140 ft-lbs, and you need to make sure the key is in the groove correctly. The pull of the magnets on the flywheel kinda makes it tough to get the flywheel back on with the key aligned properly. It is definitely doable, but just be careful with the alignment.

Look the carbs over carefully, pull the HS jet in each one, and look for gunk and varnish. If dirty, clean the carbs thoroughly, or you can lean out a cylinder, and THEN the powerhead will need re-building and break-in.

It has a water valving system that I am not crazy about. The throttle controls water flow, and if that system is not right, you can have cooling problems. The newer V6 loopers don't have that valving system, and I think it is very possible to upgrade yours to the newer system. There might be problems with switching from Vernatherms to the newer thermostats due to the thremo seats in the heads....I don't know for sure. Just be aware that the water valving system should be working just right for proper cooling.

VRO/VRO2/OMS pump is a good system, but I have disabled the oil injection on my engines, and I am pre-mixing my gas. There are plenty of posts on here regarding how to do that modification. I have found more than one pump that was working but working weakly, that the torx screws holding the diaphragm covers were loose, causing slight air leaks and weakened pump output/volume. If you have the pump off for any reason, make sure those torx screws are firmly and EVENLY tightened, one-eighth of a turn past head contact with the plastic body.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies. all your help is much appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral

Not sure what ol' jonesg is talking about here....I don't see anywhere in the original post about this being a re-built powerhead.

"the engine was repowered 2 yrs ago"

daselbee

Commander

OK O.P....what do you mean? Was this a rebuild powerhead, or did you re-power the boat with the 1991 engine 2 years ago?

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have more info on the engine, sorry for the confusion, after the engine was purchased the owner had a problem with the power head and brought it back, i am told by the people who sold it and serviced it said the bill came to 1200 but did not charge the owner anything it was under warranty. that was 4 years ago. then the engine threw a magnet and i am told it damaged the stator. i will know more when i pick it up on sat. thanks again

jonesg

Admiral

Same thing, get the service book, stator can probably be ordered right here on iBoats. Or just have a mechanic do it.
The stripers are running wild out there.:p

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok got the boat home and i have the old fly wheel the mags are all on the stator looks fine but now i have been told that a mechanic that looked at it last said they found metal where no one seems to have that info.having a mechanic come look this week thanks guys, METAL WHERE.

jonesg

Admiral

ok got the boat home and i have the old fly wheel the mags are all on the stator looks fine but now i have been told that a mechanic that looked at it last said they found metal where no one seems to have that info.having a mechanic come look this week thanks guys, METAL WHERE.

Does it run or is it still waiting for a stator ?
Have the mechanic go through it and show you how to maintain it.
I had a tech spend 4 hrs with me when I first got my engine and that was a big help.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks jonesg have a tech coming mon. have my fingers crossed.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had the mechanic look over engine, put new flywheel on he said the stator looked fine, did compression check 80-90 all six not bad for sitting 2 yrs. the gas in the tank is old have to get rid of it. does anyone know how to rig a tank without going out and buying a new portable that i will never use again.plus can i use carb cleaner to spray the carbs or should i just clean each carb.

jonesg

Admiral

I ran my 150hp by sticking the gas line into a gas can of gas/oil mix.

Do the carbs right, get the manual and take each one off in turns, buy carb kits and take them apart before using carb cleaner. Run wire through the jets.
Make sure the jets don't get swapped around, note the number stamped on each jet and write in your manual. Takes less than 2 hrs to do them all.

Read the FAQ files.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 evinrude 225 hp

Re: 1990 evinrude 225 hp

ok took1 carb off, i am a little confused. seloc says there is a needle valve and a fast idle orifice neither one is in this carb.any help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Fixed jets, nothing internal in the carburetors to adjust. Follow the Synchronization and Linkage Adjustments instructions in your factory service manual.

Make sure to check with your authorized BRP dealer to be sure that you have the currently listed jets.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the reply, i am going to get the right repair guide if i can find it, any help with that? thanks again.

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ezeke do you know the best way to clean the fixed jet there is no fuel coming through any of the carbs thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to use anything on them that is hard enough to scratch them., so usually aerosol carb cleaner followed by compressed air. Don't soak plastic parts of carburetors. You can measure the orifice (jet) with the base of numbered drill bits to be sure that they are correct. The factory manual will have tables showing the bit numbers to use in the general information section.

When you say there is no fuel coming through, are you basing that on before the engine is running?

jstrat7804

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, when cranking i don't see anything in any of the carbs.
pulled a couple of plugs after cranking no smell of gas.the carb bowls are full, on another note, the engine is a 1990 not 91 will the repair manual for 91 cover this engine is there that much difference i looked every where for a 90 manual no luck. thanks again for you help