1989 evinrude 88 spl primer problem (HELP)

Hoffmann

Cadet
My motor won't start when you push key in, I can here solenoid clicking but it won't start. It will only start when you flip the red solenoid switch. Why is this and what is wrong? I don't want to take engine cover off every time I want to start motor. Also the motor is dark blue almost black and I want to paint it but can't find the color?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 evinrude 88 spl primer problem (HELP)

The primer solenoid is just a valve that is activated by pushing in the key If the red handle is in the correct position. The red handle should be aligned with the large cylindrical base for normal operation.

If pressurized fuel does not pass through the valve when the key is pushed in, even though you can hear the solenoid click, , replace the valve: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...**********.941829661--submit.x.27--submit.y.8

Hoffmann

Cadet

Thanks I will try that. What does the red switch do exactly when turned?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you turn the handle the valve is open, which allows the fuel that you pressurized with the primer bulb to pass through the valve. If the engine is already warm, that should flood it.

The only time that opening the valve manually should be necessary is when the battery is dead and you have to start the engine with a rope.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/videos/primermovie.wmv

Attachments

• primer solenoid.JPG
    primer solenoid.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to visually check the operation of the cold start primer solenoid. Pull the small primer hose off the hose barb on the top of the top carb. Turn the key to on, and push in on the key. If fuel pulses out of the end of the hose, the solenoid is working. See you dealer with the model number of the engine and they can get you a spray can of the correct paint.