Need help rigging 2003 Johnson 50 hp

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I know this is a pretty specific question but maybe somebody out there can help me. I bought this motor last year and with any luck will get it on the boat this year. The only things it came with was the steering arm and prop.

I've since bought a new style OEM control, but don't have a cable or wiring harness. I have the oil injection tank with hose & short cable connector on the tank. I've decided to go with the combination OEM Tach & System check gauge (BRP 0177107).

Which wiring harness & cable do I need? How do you measure for the cable length? (Boat is 15' long).

Once I have everything, will the wiring harness and these accessories all be compatible and just plug in to finish the job?

Thanks.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help rigging 2003 Johnson 50 hp

cable length (cable path) measure from center of engine to side of boat,measure from back of boat to center of control add 40 inches and round up to next foot length.
Wire harness you may be able to use the 15 foot harness but they don't stretch too good so order a 20 and coil up excess.
fill oil tank and squeeze bulb until oil is present in hose (don't connect just yet)
After motor is hooked up hook it up to 50:1 and run motor to test no oil alarm.
When alarm verified hook up oil hose squeeze bulb once or twice and oil pump should start to work.
Continue to run on 50:1 for a while usually 1 five gallon tank and verify oil consumption
Oil system should now be fine to go to straight gas.
Wayne

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: Need help rigging 2003 Johnson 50 hp

Thanks, Wayne, good info. I'll go to the BRP site and try to figure out which harness I need.