Starter Pinion on 1975 9.9Hp Evinrude

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
I removed my manual starter to get at my carburetor and the spring came unwound. When re-assembling it, I simply rewound it back into the cup and put the rope part on top, etc. When it went onto the motor, the pinion gear doesn't seem to line up with my flywheel teeth like it should, when I pull the rope. It seems to me that it should go in closer to the teeth so that it doesn't strip the teeth of the pinion, but it gets assembled with a single bolt onto the motor.

Am I missing something here, perhaps in my re-assembly of the spring or something. Maybe my starter's pinion gear is shot, but it worked fine last year when I last used it.

Any help with this thing would be appreciated.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Pinion on 1975 9.9Hp Evinrude

Look at the parts diagram on BRP Evinrude website to get the right parts order of assembly.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

its possible that the alignment tab is not in the proper location...if you look at the starter is it parelle to the flywheel?
Wayne

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Look at the bottom of the cup, there is a tab that must align, there is a hole that it locks onto near the bolt hole where the starter bolts to.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Thanks for the help guys. She works fine now.