evinrude crankshaft thread size

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a 25 hp 1975 evinrude 25502b. The crankshafts threads are stripped pretty good. mI guess someone put an airgun to the nut and crossed it down to about 3/4ths from the bottom. Does anyone know the thread size? I want to try using a dye to rethread. Will this work and what size do I need? I also have a problem with the whole advance and throttle mechanism. I think I adjusted the magneto assy wrong affecting the throttle response from the tiller. I cant turn it. The point to where the mag plate connects spins as to allow for adjusting. Is this correct? I purchased this eng. from a mech at the marine flea market in Dania. I guess that for $100 it cannot be a bad deal. He told me though that it just needs the basics. As I can tell the head pressure is 65psi in each cyl. A lil low. Have not started it yet. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude crankshaft thread size

The thread is a 1/2-20. Try the lingage all together with the flywheel off. You will find these thread's in somewhat of a hardened state, so a die may not work. It will depend on how bad they are stripped.

Last edited: