Where to fit in a tell tale--I did read the FAQ

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice
1973 Evinrude 65hp

I read the FAQ about adding a tell tale so I ordered the elbow and cowling outlet. Now, in trying to find a location at the top of the motor, I am having trouble finding room for it. I took two pictures of the locations that I am looking at. One is just above the exhaust cover and the other would be in the cylinder head. The cylinder head location is only as wide as my finger, so room is a problem. I won't be able to rotate the elbow in due to room. As you can see, the frost plug is located in another good location, so I can't go there. The third location could be my exhaust cover at the top, but I read that there may be trouble there(the service bulletin). I just don't seem to have much room to get this elbow in. If neither picture works, then can I put the elbow in the top of the exhaust cover and route the hose over the motor to help push the water to the top of the cylinder?

Attachments

• 100_0403.jpg
    100_0403.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0404.jpg
    100_0404.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Where to fit in a tell tale--I did read the FAQ

I don't have the answer but you can try a thread search , lots of guys have done it, seen the threads but never read them because mine was factory.

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have the answer but you can try a thread search , lots of guys have done it, seen the threads but never read them because mine was factory.

I did a search and read the FAQ on tell-tale installation. I read every related thread (for in-lines and V-4's) and can find none that have the same look on the top of the motor. I read not to put one in the head, but the spot on the block where I saw others mounted has the frost plug on mine. The first pic has the place where I feel there is enough room, but I would rather not remove the exhaust plates to see if I will hit anything drilling there.

If it is too much hassle to do those first to locations, then my question was if I route the hose over the motor, can I just install the tell tale way up on the top of the exhaust plate or am I going to cause air bubbles or lack of pressure or something else that is bad.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

for something as serious as drilling into the water jacket I don't blame him for wanting a second opinion. I'm sure someone that's done one on that motor will drop by.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

If Ole Evinrude wanted a tell-tale on that motor, he would have put one there.

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

If Ole Evinrude wanted a tell-tale on that motor, he would have put one there.

Maybe, but even Ole Evinrude can't blame a guy for adding a little piece of mind. The price of a new motor is just too high for me. I saw the pictures of the other motors that have it, but I just need some clarification on what I can get away with.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

i installed one on my 115 and can tell you this. you dont have to use an elbow,you can use a fitting that is npt thread on one end and a straight barb on the other.plumbing section at lowes $2-3.works great.just loop the hose safely thru the bottom cowling. also just use a simple grommet unless you already ordered the fitting. i did however remove the head to get any drill/tapping shavings out.needed a new gasket.

jonesg

Admiral

for something as serious as drilling into the water jacket I don't blame him for wanting a second opinion. I'm sure someone that's done one on that motor will drop by.

Neither do I, but considering his post had scrolled to page 4....

At least saying 'I don't know, keep looking",
....bumps the thread back to page 1 again.:)
Better chance there.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I put the one on my '75 50 horse, I just drilled into the head cover. Quick, easy, effective, and if I screwed it up, easy to replace.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

This is a pretty straight forward one. Go to a johnny rude dealer and order 321886 elbow, they are like 2 bucks. Go get yourself a 1/8" 27 npt tap and 11/32nd drill bit. I'm not a huge fan of drilling blind so pull the dead. Drill and tap the top of the head, install the fitting and run the tube however you like out the lower cowl. The faq shows a 3 cyl with a fitting installed into the top of the head, just do the same as that one.

ps - use teflon tape on the fitting

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

First of all....thanks, everybody, for the feedback.:)

As much as I would like to put it on the top, the only place I could "squeeze" it in is the head. But, that gives me VERY little space to get the fitting in. I only have the width of my finger to make it work and I just don't like how little aluminum I will have after I cut a hole in the 1" there is. I will need to offset the fitting just to thread it in. So, that is why I looked at the crankcase on top, and just above the exhaust plate(not quite as high, but still pretty high). I already have the elbow...ordered it after I read the FAQ. As long as I am not going to do a big "no no"(i.e. somebody tell me whay this should not be done--air bubbles, overheats at idle, #1 will get too hot, etc..), I am thinking that the top of the exhaust plate is the best bet for me. I have no desire to pull the head since I just dropped about $200 in the lower unit and other maintenance(my wife is already not happy with me the way for how much it ended up costing me). I assume that if I go this route that running the hose over the top of the motor is the best way to go?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thumbnail shot is similar.

Attachments

• Tell tale outlet.jpg
    Tell tale outlet.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Service Bulletin 2276 Rev 1.jpg
    Service Bulletin 2276 Rev 1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ezeke nailed it! That's where I put mine. Works great. Heavy coat of grease on the drill bit and also the tap keeps most shavings out. Before I put the fitting in I started the motor in a test barrel for a few seconds. It shot about a 15 foot high stream of water straight up, which should have helped to clear any remaining shavings out of the water jacket. This is by far the easiest place to install the fitting, and is plenty high to avoid trapped air problems. Route the hose up and over the top of the block / cylinder head and then down through the bulkhead fitting. Good luck!

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

It is in and works great! Finally got the entire motor and lower unit back together. Runs better than it ever did since I had it.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Might be a lame answer, but a bad install of something that was not meant to be there in the first place could result in the motor being parted out on eBay. When I was a lad turning wrenches, I worked for an old german who taught me "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." As opposed to "If it isn't broke, your are not trying."

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Bet he didn't like seat belts either.

John Bussom

Cadet

Might be a lame answer, but a bad install of something that was not meant to be there in the first place could result in the motor being parted out on eBay. When I was a lad turning wrenches, I worked for an old german who taught me "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." As opposed to "If it isn't broke, your are not trying."

You are right in a way but there was a service bulletin tellin to fix it before it gets broke and why!