1966 Evinrude sportfour 60HP help please guys.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys my name is Rob im in St Louis MO .
I just bought a buddys 1966 MFG Beachcomber and he gave me the Original motor that came on the boat 1966 Evinrude Model#60653R .

Ok this motor is like it came off the show room floor!
I did a compression test all CYL's were 80 PSI on the nose is this normal for this motor ?

My problem is ZERO spark .. Ive tryed everything been reading the forums for awhile and ive seen Joe Reeves post on this a few times ... I did what he still no fire..

What would cause the no spark ? The points are dead on Cap and rotor are clean as can been no burns carbon ect.. Ive spun it by hand looking for a spark on one of the plugs nothing... Can a condenser cause this problem ? Im new to the whole points thing but im sure i got it .. .20 on the top of the cam lobe ect...

Ive checked both sets of points no fire to the plugs on either side... I would love to get this thing humming down the river.
I have all paper work with the motor from 1966 Service' manual and parts booklet.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1966 Evinrude sportfour 60HP help please guys.

A bad condenser could be causing this, also could be the kill switch is bad. Disconnect the kill wire, and see if you get fire.

A good trick on points is to run a thin piece of unwaxed cardboard between the points to remove any oil residue. Even the oil from your skin will interfere with points. Old timers used a match book cover folded over for this purpose. Hope you get it going the fish are biting;)

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bad condenser could be causing this, also could be the kill switch is bad. Disconnect the kill wire, and see if you get fire.

A good trick on points is to run a thin piece of unwaxed cardboard between the points to remove any oil residue. Even the oil from your skin will interfere with points. Old timers used a match book cover folded over for this purpose. Hope you get it going the fish are biting;)

Were is this Kill wire ? is this the wire that leads to the nut were the other black were is in the side"?

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just tryed the safety switch also no fire. So a condenser and thats the only thing els ?

The points are gaped correct.

Spun by hand real fast nothing .

Also is there a way to check the Coil also ?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Once had a motor that set for 4 years and it had points. The flywheel magnets had set over the pickup all that time. The flywheel magnets were demagnetized. The motor had no spark at all.
Sounds like a condenser would be a good first guess. You can test a condenser with a multimeter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Take those points apart and clean each contact individually. Get them shiny bright clean with some 400 grit paper. Then reinstall and gap to .020". NOW, if you still have no spark, you can be considering something more exotic.

a70eliminator

Captain

How are you lighting up the ignition, do you have 12v at the coil +?
It sounds like the motor is off the boat?

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor is on the Boat everything is hooked up besides the control cables for throttle and shifting .. i have it in neutral and starting it with the key ingtion ...

Ill run out side and pull everything apart and check. should only take a few brb.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

How are you lighting up the ignition, do you have 12v at the coil +?
It sounds like the motor is off the boat?

WHOA!!! If you apply 12V to the ignition, you will light it up big time. That motor has a magneto. Do not connect 12V to it.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its running like a dream ... i have it on the boat with a huge trash can and 2 hose's running cool water it runs awsome ... im just leting it idle it is spiting out some water out of the rear but this motor doseint have a pee hole ? Im going to pull the old water pump out and replace it just for added peace of mind.
i need a new throttle control cable and im ready to roll....

Anyone know about switching thease old motors over to telflex system ?

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wires to the coil were all rusty at the connections and i replaced them and soderd them up and shrink warped them.