1988 150xp evinrude blown gasket

heid919

Cadet
The gasket between the powerhead and the exhaust plenum downcomer was blown out today after "sea trials" today. Engine ran crappy, poor idle....stalling, no guts and ate fuel like WOW! All kinda black oily reside just below where the gasket blew. Would recircing exhaust gasses cause that much poor performance. I just did a decarb and wonder if I blew a lot of crap out of the motor and did some damage. I can tell you that there is a lot of red RTV all over this motor and this gasket was loaded with it.
It looks like I need to pull the powerhead.........much of a job? I have oodles of tools and know how to use them. I also have the Evinrude service manuals and guides. They are ok but can be vague as hell. Thanks, Dennis

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 150xp evinrude blown gasket

Sounds like someone reused the base gasket which is a no-no and it will run like crap with gasket blown as its eating its on exhaust. Unbolt powerhead and clean EVERYTHING powerhead sets on. Replace the gasket with the metal reinforced thick gasket(part#335503), all you will need is basic tools,hoist and manual.