Evinrude 2hp Mate runs then dies

CMIYC

Cadet
Hey everyone. I have been a long time lurker of this site and finally decided to become a member today. I am having an issue with my evinrude mate. I have searched this site and others and still can not figure it out. I just recently bought this boat with the mate, so its new to me. Basically what happens is the motor will run fine for a while, usually at half to 3/4 throttle. Then when I run it at a faster speed for about 5 mins, it just dies. Then it has a really hard time starting back up. If it does start, it runs like crap and I have to keep playing with the choke to keep it running even though its hot. I dont get it. It sounds like a heat issue but I don't know.

The previous owner just had the carb rebuilt, new points and condensor, plug etc. All with less than 25hrs. The gap on the plug is fine and the jets are where they should be. Fuel/oil ratio is also correct.

Can anyone help me out? This is really putting a damper on my fishing season. The motor is slow enough as it is. I hate to only run it at half throttle all the time. Thanks so much everyone

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 2hp Mate runs then dies

Restricted fuel supply.

Clogged vent on tank?
Vent not open?
Clogged up filter on tank outlet?

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

or not restricted. Bad needle and seat wouldn't let the float work reguardless. Check it for crud.

CMIYC

Cadet

The vent on the tank is open when I run it. I have a new inline fuel filter installed already. I haven't checked the filter screen in the tank yet. Is that common with the problems I am experiencing? So you guys are saying it's most likely fuel and not an ignition issue? Thanks for your help so far guys

Rick.

Captain

Lots of good ideas above but also check to make sure it isn't over heating. That will cause some of the problems your reporting and it's really bad for the long term condition if that's what is happening. Best of luck. Rick.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone. I have been a long time lurker of this site and finally decided to become a member today. I am having an issue with my evinrude mate. I have searched this site and others and still can not figure it out. I just recently bought this boat with the mate, so its new to me. Basically what happens is the motor will run fine for a while, usually at half to 3/4 throttle. Then when I run it at a faster speed for about 5 mins, it just dies. Then it has a really hard time starting back up. If it does start, it runs like crap and I have to keep playing with the choke to keep it running even though its hot. I dont get it. It sounds like a heat issue but I don't know.

The previous owner just had the carb rebuilt, new points and condensor, plug etc. All with less than 25hrs. The gap on the plug is fine and the jets are where they should be. Fuel/oil ratio is also correct.

Can anyone help me out? This is really putting a damper on my fishing season. The motor is slow enough as it is. I hate to only run it at half throttle all the time. Thanks so much everyone

Does the exhaust relief holes midway down the leg have water misting out of them. Have you evaluated or changed the waterpump/impeller. I know the previous stated he had certain things done, but we have all come across people/previous owners state that certain things were done or fixed and it was later found out not to be true.

You can buy a laser temp reader at habor freights for about 26 bucks. If the water pump is creating a mist out of the exhaust relief ports, then while you are running the motor for a while get a temp reading of the cylinder head. It should not be more than 160 degrees. (You really need to make sure your waterpump is working and your cooling the head, if you don't you could overheat and damage your cylinders and pistons)

My 1972 2hp Johnson does not have thermostat and I don't think they were designed with one. (If this is incorrect please correct my mistake)

If you don't have a overheating issue, then check to make sure you have a good consistent spark.

If you have a good spark, then while you have the motor running adjust your high speed needle, it may be lean.

Look at this link!!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352 (carb adjusting)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013 (carb clean and rebuild)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294072 (coil and points)

For good maintenance and a good resource you need a manual

http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=boats.main&manufactor=evinrude

www.ebay.com

Iboats have carb kits and impellers for your motor.

Good luck!!

cajuncook1

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I'd bet if the PO actually did the work you described it was in response to the same problem your having and he passed it on to you. The overheating is a possibilty. I have seen these low hp motors get hot enough to just shut down without any other clue such as a rod through the side of the block. I don't know enough about that motor to know how the fuel is supplied (gravity or pump) but if it's not overheating I'd check the fuel supply.

kbait

Commander

Pull the fuel line at the carb and open the fuel valve. You should get a good stream of fuel by gravity feed. If it's REAL slow, look at the fuel filter in the tank itself, or perhaps the in-line filter you installed is gunked up already..

CMIYC

Cadet

The waterpump/impeller were also changed when all the other work was done. He gave me the receipt of all work done when I bought it to prove. I also have good spark so I dont think its that. I did adjust the high speed needle at full throttle and its perfect. I leaned it out till it ran crappy and then riched it out till it ran smooth. The plug also looks to be burning very well.

The fuel is gravity fed from the tank. I tested the flow and it comes out at a pretty steady rate. The inline fuel filter I put in is brand new. But I was having this problem before the new inline filter.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reguardless of whether or not the carb was rebuilt, I would check it again. I rebuilt one 3 times earlier this year. Finally found out part of the carb is damaged. On another, this week, I cleaned 3 times then on the 4th it straighten out. It doesn't take much to stop the needle from seating properly. Also the pin that holds the carb could need cleaning. 1000 grit sand paper can make it shine like new if it's gummed up.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your symptoms definately indicate too lean or too rich. Based on the part "hard to start back after dying". Do you have to choke it to restart? If you choke a little at full throttle, will it stay running?

CMIYC

Cadet

Your symptoms definately indicate too lean or too rich. Based on the part "hard to start back after dying". Do you have to choke it to restart? If you choke a little at full throttle, will it stay running?

I do have to choke it to restart. And once it's running I do have to keep the choke out to keep it running normal. As soon as I push the choke in it wants to die no matter what rpm range it's in.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gravity fed...Hmm. It's too lean. You are starving for gas if you have to choke to keep it running. Difinately check the carb again. Special attention to idle adjustment screw or screws and needle and seat.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also have you changed the fuel mixtures at all? Even a clean carb will run poorly with inproper adjustments. I would try adjusting while the engine is running and see if you can work the air fuel mixtures out to running without choke.

CMIYC

Cadet

Yea it sounds too lean to me too especially the whole choke thing. I have tried adjusting the mixture screws to keep it running but it doesn't work. It's just weird to me that it runs wide open for a few minutes and it's fine. Then it starts running like crap and dies. Then won't run right at ANY rpm which is strange to me. If it was a mixture issue would it still run ok for that long? It just seems like it would die sooner.

CATransplant

Admiral

This is probably silly, but are you remembering to open the vent on that tank's cap? On the little tiddlers, the tank is very small and, if it's full, it doesn't take long to starve for fuel if the vent screw isn't open.

You probably already know that, but I thought I'd mention it.

CMIYC

Cadet

Yes the vent is open. First thing I checked

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should have idle mixture knobs..At least one. If they are out of adjustment and the choke is making up for that, it could run. I've let my choke out slightly, then set, then slightly more, then set and so on. You shouldn't have to, but if that's what it takes to find your settings, I would.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Evinrude Mate, huh? Did you know that they first introduced that model name in 1940 in the 1/2 hp model? It was small enough to mix drinks with.

Just some useless info for ya.

I'm starting to think the carb has to be cleaned out again and all the passages checked completely. I've actually rebuilt a carb on an old 10hp that had the tip of the low speed needly, stuck in the seat.:eek:

How does the coil look in that little bugger? If the coil is bad, things could change as it gets warmed up. Even bad coils can deliver spark.

CMIYC

Cadet

You should have idle mixture knobs..At least one. If they are out of adjustment and the choke is making up for that, it could run. I've let my choke out slightly, then set, then slightly more, then set and so on. You shouldn't have to, but if that's what it takes to find your settings, I would.

Yeah I have 2 mixture knobs. One for low speed and the other for high. If it was a mixture setting issue why then does it run fine with no choke for around 5-10mins? And I have tried easing the choke and adjusting the mixture with no success.

Is there any possibility this could this be a points/condensor issue? I have never had a motor with points before this one. So I am not really sure of their quirks. I know how they work, but I'm just used to electronic ignition.

I am going to dig in it this weekend. Start with fuel then work my way to the carb. If that doesnt do anything then I go to ignition. And just a side question, do I have to run a Champion plug? Is there anything else that will work? I hate Champion plugs and have always had bad luck with them. Thanks so much again for the help guys. Greatly appreciated:D