Ignition problem Johnson 115

ktroll98

Recruit
I have an 80 model 115.(off boat) motor will turn putting hot cable to bottom of solenoid but will not do anything when hooked up right and turning the key.The choke will activate but the solenoid won't even click.I checked the in line fuse,it's O.K. The solenoid looks new so it's kind'a throwing me off but i guess it could be bad. I just got this motor & controlls home.all i know about it is it was running 3 weeks ago.compression is 103,105,105,108 so i'm going to mess with it.electric is my week suit. help.......anyone

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition problem Johnson 115

With key turned to the START position, 12v should be present at the "S" terminal of the ignition switch (white wire).

Still turned to START, the same 12v should be present at the same white wire at the solenoid (small 3/8" nut terminal).

If 12v is not present at the solenoid white wire, either a break exists in that wire OR, and MOST LIKELY, the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment or faulty.

If using a regular OMC control box, the safety switch would be inside the control box which is easy to locate....... the white wire from the "S" terminal of the ignition switch leads right to one of the safety switch terminals, with the other terminal having a white wire that leads to ther starter solenoid.

ktroll98

Recruit
Re: Ignition problem Johnson 115

Thanks Joe, I won't be able to work on it for several days but i'll report back as soon as i find something out one way or the other.....J.K.