JOHNSON 140 V4 problems

gecko55

Recruit
Hi
I mave a 1993 johnson V4 which I have been using for about 4 years. It pumps lots of water - has equal compression on all 4 cylinders (compression meter only has red and green sections but just on green) there seems to be a spark on all 4 cylinders but the motor only runs on the starboard bank of cylinders till it gets really warm. Though it seems to tick over ok the engine note does not change when the ht leads are removed from the port side plugs. It does when each starboard ht lead is removed. I have swapped the coils over and the problem remains on the port cylinders? They seem to be wet with fuel so fuel does not seem to be a problem - Checked the red primary inputs to all coils and they are all readin same voltage - 23volts thogh the manual states 150volts? The fact that all 4 primary inputs give the same reading and the motor runs on at least 2 cylinders leads me to feel this is correct. So this does not seem to be a power pack problem and the coils seem ok - as they work on starboard side but not port. What else could I check and does anyone have a magic answer please. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Re: JOHNSON 140 V4 problems

I think your carbs are the suspect. But im new here so dont take my word. I just have the same motor. new spark plugs? grounds are good to the coil packs? the fuel soaked plugs (to me) sound like the carbs are dumping the fuel and soaking the plugs and cuaseing them not to fire. Have you checked them out lately? becareful not to let to much build in the cylinder and detonate. There are VFAQ all over the net on how to adjust them. I have no clue if they have floats in these carbs but it sounds like one is stuck open.

sorry if this is all stupid to you.

Re: JOHNSON 140 V4 problems

oops thought it said 1983 not 1993...forget all that i wrote im stupid