left head hotter then the right?

parrisw

Ensign
Finally got my other issues resolved I think, now I may have another.

The left head has definitely been running hotter then the right, the paint has a burnt look to it, and after running on muffs for a few minutes, its hotter to the touch then the right, maybe hold my hand on it for 2 seconds, and the right maybe 3 seconds. What can cause this? Isn't there some sort of water deflector in there?

Thanks

Will

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: left head hotter then the right?

And the engine is.................?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The engine has two thermostats located in the housing that the rubber water hoses are attached to (bottom of heads to center housing).

There are also water deflectors located between the cylinders and between the bottom cylinder and the block.

parrisw

Ensign

I just replaced the thermostats, with aftermarket ones.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Motor in my signature (140hp Johnson) is a little warmer one side on the muffs but nowhere near overheating. It is fine actually in the water though.
Have you tried checking it with a heat gun to see exactly what you have ???

parrisw

Ensign

Motor in my signature (140hp Johnson) is a little warmer one side on the muffs but nowhere near overheating. It is fine actually in the water though.
Have you tried checking it with a heat gun to see exactly what you have ???

No never check with the infrared gun, I have one at work, I'll bring it home, I've never had much luck with these dang muffs, maybe I'll try it in a box or just dump it in the lake. I'm guessing the deflectors would be go to do anyway? What temp should it run at?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No never check with the infrared gun, I have one at work, I'll bring it home, I've never had much luck with these dang muffs, maybe I'll try it in a box or just dump it in the lake. I'm guessing the deflectors would be go to do anyway? What temp should it run at?

Dump it in the lake to be certain. No harm in doing the deflectors for peace of mind if nothing else. Stats should open around the 140 degree mark. Check them in a jug of hot water with a meat thermometer.
Good Luck.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you have the engine hot enough to discolor the paint, you should not run the engine until you fix what's wrong, and you should also find out why your overheat alarm is not working. The engine should not run over 163 degrees F. at any speed or load.

Since you have replaced the thermostats, the likely problems are that the small holes in the valve body are blocked, or that the water passage deflectors are blocking the water passages and need to be replaced.

To service the deflectors, you need cylinder head gaskets, deflectors, and a reliable torque wrench.

Attachments

• Deflectors.JPG
    Deflectors.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0

parrisw

Ensign

If you have the engine hot enough to discolor the paint, you should not run the engine until you fix what's wrong, and you should also find out why your overheat alarm is not working. The engine should not run over 163 degrees F. at any speed or load.

Since you have replaced the thermostats, the likely problems are that the small holes in the valve body are blocked, or that the water passage deflectors are blocking the water passages and need to be replaced.

To service the deflectors, you need cylinder head gaskets, deflectors, and a reliable torque wrench.

Thanks I'm definitely going to rip it apart to service those deflectors to be certain and peace of mind. Which is the valve body? So I just pull the head off and check the water passages?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail, please. #4 is the valve body.

Attachments

• Crossflow Thermostat Sierra Diagram.jpg
    Crossflow Thermostat Sierra Diagram.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0

parrisw

Ensign

Click the thumbnail, please. #4 is the valve body.

Thanks, ya I just had that out, but honestly cant remember about the small holes, but I'm pretty sure they are clear. I'll take off the heads and inspect, at least that's not very hard to do.

How do I test the alarm? It went off on my once a month or so ago running on the muffs. I thought it was supposed to give a short alarm when you turn the key on, but it doesn't do that.

Thanks!

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, got the head off, now what do I look for for problems with the deflectors? There is quite a bit of salt build up around the top cylinder on the outside left, I'll take a pic.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The water needs to flow easily in the areas shown on the diagram with the arrows. If the water deflectors block those passages, replace them.

When they are as bad as the one shown in the picture below, the piston will usually seize or catch a ring and seriously damage the engine.

Attachments

• V6 water passage deflectors.jpg
    V6 water passage deflectors.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Deflectors.JPG
    Deflectors.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0

parrisw

Ensign

The water needs to flow easily in the areas shown on the diagram with the arrows. If the water deflectors block those passages, replace them.

When they are as bad as the one shown in the picture below, the piston will usually seize or catch a ring and seriously damage the engine.

Great thanks. It's a little blurry in that pic around the red circle, here are a couple of pics of mine I just took, I can take a close up of the deflector if ya want,

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yuck !!!!:eek:
Time to start cleaning out.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The water passage deflector is completely blocking the side water passage, which must be open as shown by the arrows in the diagram.

You need to replace all of your deflectors and de-carbon your engine.

You need to click my thumbnails to enlarge them.

You may want to consider reducing the size of your photos so that you don't eat up so much bandwidth.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

parrisw

Ensign

The water passage deflector is completely blocking the side water passage, which must be open as shown by the arrows in the diagram.

You need to replace all of your deflectors and de-carbon your engine.

You need to click my thumbnails to enlarge them.

You may want to consider reducing the size of your photos so that you don't eat up so much bandwidth.

Ya, they are kinda large, but they are hosted on photobucket, so its not eating up any bandwidth here. Yes, I click on the thumbnails. So I guess I just grab the deflectors with some pliers and pull out? Then when I put the new ones in, how do I know where to put them? Do they only go one way?

Many thanks.

Will

parrisw

Ensign

For decarbing, is it safe to just put the piston at TDC then scrub off the carbon?