1979 Evinrude 200940A 200hp wont turn off with key

Redquest

Cadet
Hey guys and gals im new to the boating world this is actually my first boat of my own, its a 1978 CENTURY closed bow Classic and the inboard motor was swapped for a 1979 Evinrude 200940A 200hp outboard. The problem im having is the motor well not turn off with the key, when I turn the key off i can hear one side shut down so i know one power pack is turning off when i jumped the black /yellow strip wire wich shuts the power pack down over to the other pack with a jumper cable and shut it down still only one side shuts down. Now if i take the jumper to a ground and to the black/yellow stripe wire on one side it shuts it down complelty. So im a little puzzled here and have no idea what to do next .. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Evinrude 200940A 200hp wont turn off with key

At the large male RED instrument electrical plug, you have "one" black/yellow wire leading back from the ignition switch to the plug.

At the female RED engine elecrical plug, you have "two" black/yellow wires, each of which leads to the separate powerpacks. The powerpack on the engine bank that does not shut down when you turn the key off has a break at some point between the powerpack and that female plug. Time to break out your ohm meter.

Redquest

Cadet

Thanks for the input Joe I elimintated blac/yellow wire from the plug that connects the two power packs together. and joined them together b4 the plug and now it shuts down perfect so the brek was actually in the plug. thanks for the help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yep..... Break within the plug, I've encountered that a few times. Glad you got it cured.