Evinrude 35 has no power

Sako

Recruit
Hi all, please help :confused:
I run a 15 foot CJR with a 1979 Evinrude 35hp twin. The motor starts and runs fine but has absolutely no top end power. She picks up well off the throttle and proceeds to a walking pace on full power. I've replaced the plugs, cleaned and reset the carb, checked the maagneto sync as good as i know how and checked the throttle and timing is fully open at full revs. It has a 13 pitch prop and the boat is usually carrying 2 men with tackle. I sold a 25hp Yamaha to buy the Evinrude and the Yamaha was twice the power. Has anyone any ideas ?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 35 has no power

Did you actually remove and physically clean the jets??

Sure sounds like a clogged main jet to me, if you don't remove them and actually run a wire thru them they aren't clen and your problem will never go away.

Mine was doing a similar thing blew out the carb and the jets "looked" factory fresh, ended up replacing CDI, coil, plugs, wires, probelm didin't go away till I took a copper wire and ran it thru the jets, runs like new now.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Check spark? Compression? Sounds like you're running on one cylinder. Could be a blown head gasket, bad coil, etc. Time for a little trouble-shooting...

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Any chance is the prop spun? Do the RPMs stay up?

Mas