Engine won't shut down. Short in Kill Switch wire ?

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 90HP Evinrude.

1) Is this where you would start ?

2) If so, does this wire usually end at the rectifier and if so can I test it there or is it a sealed up box not meant to be taken apart ?

3) Anything else to look at ? The key switch is pretty new (6 terminal), was advertised as a motorcycle switch but generally looks the same as my old one. I could always jump the 2 terminals to verify that it's not the culprit ... right ?

thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine won't shut down. Short in Kill Switch wire ?

The kill wire is connected to the powerpack by a black wire with a yellow stripe.

If the kill wire were shorted to ground, the engine would not start or run at all.

If the kill wire is broken or disconnected, you will not be able to shut the engine down with the ignition switch.

If any voltage is appied to the kill wire, you will instantly destroy your powerpack.

See the "OFF" diagram here: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am on the right track then ?

So I am on the right track then ?

I tested for continuity from key switch to end of main harness and it was good.

I need to test from the next harness end to the powerpack ? Powerpack = Rectifier I take it ?

If this is good, do I start testing the keyswitch and how would I do that ?

thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Using an ohmmeter, test the control end of the kill wire from a good engine ground to the Red plug with the ignition switch off, then with the switch on.

Run the engine, then ground the black with yellow stripe wire from the Red plug running to the powerpack; that should stop the engine instantly. If it does not, the wiring is bad or the powerpack is bad.

Battery should be disconnected while testing.

Attachments

• Big Red Plug.JPG
    Big Red Plug.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think my powerpack is bad

I think my powerpack is bad

I tested for continuity all the way up to that very, very last harness plug , the one that hooks right into the powerpack harness and had continuity from key switch until that harness plug with key in off position and none with "ON " position. So problem is in powerpack. Is this very unusual ? What could cause that

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just noticed that there are 2 powerpacks.

I just noticed that there are 2 powerpacks.

Is it possible one can be bad and not the other ? I did not test the other side.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It would be very unusual for both powerpacks to fail in that way at the same time, so it may be that you don't have a good ground on your harness.

First, try grounding the black and yellow wires from the powerpack directly to the engine block while the engine is running. If that fails to stop the engine then the powerpacks are damaged.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure how to do this

Not sure how to do this

I guess I could splice into the wire before it goes into the pack but since I have continuity I assume all the way up to the pack, it should be okay to ground from the key switch, right ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I thought that turning the key to off did not stop your engine. That's what grounding the wire at the ignition switch would simulate.

Attachments

• OFF.JPG
    OFF.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 0

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I should splice into BLACK/YELLOW at harness (smartly) ? I have not tested the other power pack for continuity yet. If there is a short there what would that mean ? Theoretically one side is shutdown and not the other. I'll check and do what you suggested by hopefully tonight. Thanks for the help.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now I am having the opposite problem

Now I am having the opposite problem

engine won't start. Kill switch is now OFF all the time. I am getting continuity at OFF and ON. Time for a new Ignition switch ???