1995 90hp evinrude impeller not pumping water

casey2001

Cadet
I have a 1995 90hp evinrude, the other day when i was on my way back from fishing and the water got real shallow so i raised the motor and went through it, i saw sand kicking up. well about 10min up the water my temp horn went off, looked at the motor it was not pumping at all. i figured it was stopped up so i put it in neutral and gave it some gas, it pushed a little water at high rpms. anyways i got back home and hooked it to the hose and it was pushing out good water, so i thought it was unclogged. I then lowered the motor into a big tub to see if it would pump water without the hose pressure but it didnt. So im guessing i jacked up the impeller when i went through the shallow water.

can anyone give me some info on how to change one out?

thanks casey

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 90hp evinrude impeller not pumping water

remove gearcase (7 screws) and shift connector screw or pin (just under powerhead by carbs)
Remove water pump housing impeller plate and gasket.
Clean out gearcase of sand as required
Install a water pump repair kit.
Make sure you order the proper one for your motor (by model number) as there are two different ones available
You may also have to flush sand out of powerhead depending on how fouled up it is.
Wayne

casey2001

Cadet

Thanks marinemech, I can only see 4 screws on the lower unit where are the other 3 located?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

under cave plate 5\8 head, trim tab and one under trim tab
Wayne
p.s. mark trim tab for reinstall

casey2001

Cadet

Does the gear case just drop down after the bolts are taken out? or will it need some convensing.

deff appreciate the help
thanks casey

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

maybe a little make sure shift is disconnected.
There is a piece that looks like a boot(exhaust tube) inside exhaust housing don't lose it and new seals are a good idea.
Wayne

casey2001

Cadet

When i go to the marine store do I tell them i need the seals for replacing the water pump?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Tell them you would like a water pump repair kit (for your model number) and seals for the exhaust "boot"
Wayne

casey2001

Cadet

Thanks for al the help, i believe i can get it done. The shop wanted like 300 for the job.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

good luck and let me\us know how you made out.
Wayne

casey2001

Cadet

well i started on the job with the repair book and i took all the bolts out and the shift link pin but i cant get the shift rod to disconnect. what am i doing wrong?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

on most models you pull a clip out of the shaft under the carb and then PULL towards the port side...

ther eis NO NEED to loosen any bolts or nuts!!!

on the other side( port side) there is a junction block with a bolt that is clamped on this rod with the pin in it...( it is part of your shift linkage) but you dont nmeed to undo that bolt..when you push from the starboard side the whole assembly move OFF and AWAY from the verticle shift rod.

i dont know how many times i go to undo that bolt...when it isnt neccessary!!!

in that junction block ther eis a small pin that goes through a hole in the verticle shift rod... when you move the junction block port side the pin leave the hole in the shift rod...just make sure when you let go, it doesnt try to slip back in...

that and the bolts in the lower unit ar all that normally holds the Lower unit on....

sometimes the stickiness of the exhaust gaskets have a little bite...but not much..and sometimes the splines in the top of the drive shaft have rusted to the splines in the crank....have patience...dont hammer and bang thing

good luck

bob

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

you might also want to at least remove and inspect the thermostats on top of each head under the 4 screws,sand can cause them to malfunction

casey2001

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys, Well i got it apart and rebuilt the water pump and put it back together and it pushes water out strong. But now i have alot more exhaust coming out of the slots above the gear case, it comes out of the prop when i throttle up the motor and also have water leaking at the crack where the gear case touches the rest of the motor are these things i should worry about???

thanks casey

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the help guys, Well i got it apart and rebuilt the water pump and put it back together and it pushes water out strong. But now i have alot more exhaust coming out of the slots above the gear case, it comes out of the prop when i throttle up the motor and also have water leaking at the crack where the gear case touches the rest of the motor are these things i should worry about???

thanks casey

well for sure id say you didnt get the exhaust gasket inside seated properly..

id take it off and re do....they make it like that for a reason

good luck

bob

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

thanks casey

Water from the LU/midsection parting line is normal ... it's not sealed and the midsection is pretty full of water when running. Also water should be coming out of the drain holes in the midsection. Most of the cooling water is discharged from the prop hub.