I need help with my 1984 johnson 50 hp

Lilkjuntee

Cadet
I recently bought a 17 foot alumacraft with a 84 Johnson 50 hp didn't want to idle with the ears in my yard so I cleaned both carbs. Now it idles so then I took it out on the water and now it don't want to run full throttle. When running wide open it will run for couple seconds then almost kill then it will catch again. So I looked at the primer ball and it was flat. But this thing will idle fine. When I got back home I ran it on the ears and it runs fine even if I put it in gear the ball doesn't flatten "in the yard". Is this a fuel problem??? Just the ball??? Please help me!!! I have 0 experience with outboards. Any help will be helpful. Thanks guys

maj_hazard

Cadet
Re: I need help with my 1984 johnson 50 hp

I would suspect that you have a blockage in the fuel line between the Ball and the tank.. or you have not opened the vent on the fuel tank..

Cheers

Hazard

Lilkjuntee

Cadet

Vent is open I even pulled the tube out of the tank and it was clear. I even blew through it it make sure. Is it only doing it on the water because of the load??

CATransplant

Admiral

Got the hose reversed? It happens. There are check valves in the bulb and if you turn the assembly around with the tank end attached to the engine, it won't work.

Also, a bad bulb can have the same effect. Check your hose and bulb. for proper orientation.

Lilkjuntee

Cadet

The arrow is pointed from tank to the motor. I checked that first thing when I seen the ball flattened. And thanks guys for your help hopefully I can get on the water soon!!

Lilkjuntee

Cadet

Thanks for y'all advise/comments. Anymore info/ideas would be very helpful.

Lilkjuntee

Cadet

Thanks to all. It sounds like I'll be changing fuel lines and checking the vent and valve on my tanks.