im giving up! cable shifter probs

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
i just replaced the carbs on my 1978 johnson 85 hp #85ml78c but now the air housing unit that came with it, the shifter and throttle cables dont fit like they used to. but throttle works fine but the gear shifter (seperate handle on control box) wont go into forward or reverse. when i pull to shift it wants to squirrel around at motor end and wont friggin shift! its sitting with the black twister adjuster behind the anchor point on the air box. when before it was in front of the anchor point. so i dont know what to do.... any ideas guys? thanks in advance...

p.s. i cant force it forward of anchor point...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: im giving up! cable shifter probs

That "air housing unit" which I suspect is just the carburetor face plate....... if it's a different design than what was on the engine originally, my guess is that it will not function with the engines shift linkage. If this is the case, remove the replacement face plate and install the original one.

The replacement carburetors and face plate..... what engine (year/hp) did they come off of?

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

the replacement came off a 77 85 hp... the problem with the old face plate is that on the new carbs the choke plate handle doesnt clear the old face plate... im tempted to break out the cutting wheel and cut the botton right quarter off the old unit... does that sound doable???

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Worth a try..... nothing to lose at this point.