How to remove the lower unit on a 1956 5.5

nashwinter123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do you remove the lower unit from a 1956 5.5 johnson (red in color). Just undo the 4 and pull? I dont think its that but i can't the shaft connecters. Theres one plate on the left side by the connection of the lower and leg but theres no bolts to undo. thanks

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to remove the lower unit on a 1956 5.5

You have to pull the powerhead on those, and undo the shift linkage there. Bigger motors have an access port and coupler, but not the 5-1/2.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: How to remove the lower unit on a 1956 5.5

Remove the screws from under the powerhead, disconnect linkage for the carb, fuel coupler from the motor. On my 7.5 I had to remove the exhaust cover to get at a powerhead screw, not sure about the 5.5. Then the powerhead comes off, pull straight up, might be stuck to the midsection and requite some coaxing to get it off. Once off, grab the goodies from the driveshaft, spring-washer-carbon spacer with o-ring- make note how it goes back on. Replace the o-ring in the carbon spacer and the top washer.2 nuts hold the shift linkage- note how it's held on. 4 bolts from the gearcase and the lower unit will come off.