Fuel shutoff valve or quick disconnect?

swalk1982

Cadet
I have a 1990 Johnson 150GT with the oil injection removed. Due to some gas running out of the carbs with the engine tilted up when transporting I would like to run it out of fuel when I put it on the trailer. I can't seem to find a quick disconnect that will mount into the lower engine case. So could I just buy a shutoff valve and put it in the fuel line right before it enters the engine? Or will this harm the fuel pump? Anybody use either a quick disconnect or shutoff valve with this type of engine? I've had a 150hp Mercury that had a quick disconnect.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel shutoff valve or quick disconnect?

(Running Engine Out Of Gas)
(J. Reeves)

If the engine has but one carburetor, it's unlikely that running the engine out of gas would do any harm. When the carburetor runs out of the fuel/oil mixture, the engine stops running.

However, a engine that has more than one carburetor should simply be shut off. The reasoning is that the top carburetor will run out of fuel first due to gravity and the engine will continue to run on because of the still existing fuel in the other lower carburetors.

This results in having at least one aluminum piston running up and down a steel cylinder wall with improper or no lubrication. Not a good idea!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

A fuel shutoff somewhere between the engine and the tank is always a good idea,but I don't think that this will solve your problem.Very often it is the fuel in the carburetor bowls that will leak out when the engine is tilted.As for running the engine dry,it will solve the leakage problem when combined with a shutoff,but running the carbs dry may cause other problems.
As for quick connectors,I know some people who call them quick air suckers....

swalk1982

Cadet

The post about running multi carbed engines dry makes sense, but from my experience it does no harm. Had a Mercury 115 tower of power for 14 years and ran it out of fuel every time it was used. Never had a problem with it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Vary lucky guy. Let us know when you go to Vegas, I want to be standing very close to you.