Starter Problems

blacksmith82

Cadet
I have a 40hp Johnson, I believe it's a 1963. It has a starter motor, but basically no other wiring to speak of and no solenoid. I have been messing around with it to see if it is worth doing an overhaul...to start the motor I have just been using jumper cables (pos. to the starter, neg. grounded to the lower motor cover) The stater motor will start and turn the flywheel fine the first time, but then I will try again and nothing...I usually wait until the next day and it will work once, than not again. Any ideas what might be causing this? Also any suggestions on wiring an old motor like this from scratch? (i know this is kinda broad)

thanks for any help

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Problems

You want to make sure that the battery is fully charged,starters do not like old batteries.
Also,the jumper cables are not always connected in a place that has the proper conductivity.
I would just put a solenoid on there,the wiring is really very simple and should not cause any trouble.
All you need is a Seloc manual for 2 cylinder engines up to 40 hp from 1957 up to 1972.It does have all the wiring info that you need.
Now if you want to seriously fix this outboard you are better off getting an original manufacturers manual.