88 90 hp johnsononly half the engine is working

myrion74

Cadet
My first issue I thought was a fuel issue. When I was out yesterday and running at 5000 rpm the engine started to sputter and slowly over the next 5 minutes I startede to lose power until it settled on 3000 rpm's. I limped back to the dock and at full throttle it would go 7 knots and not clear 3000 rpm's. I checked the plugs, looked fine but they were "wet". Cleaned them up and ran it in the yard, the port side of the motor is warm when running and the starbord side is cold, I take that as meaning that half the engine is not working. Any ideas or suggestions as to why this is? I think I have a fuel leak somewhere under the deck and don't know if this is part of the issue. Any ideas will be seriously considered. I have dumped $2500 into the boat in the last 9 months, it has been working well but in the yard after I checked the plugs it was running rough. Only half the motor seems to be working, have had the carbeurator cleaned, the compression checked out, new ignition, new wiring harness and so on. Please, I need help!!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 88 90 hp johnsononly half the engine is working

Sounds like you arent't getting spark on 1 or 2 plugs, have you tested for spark?