1975 Evinrude 50hp, with problem

deac1234

Seaman
Hi,

I am looking at a 1975 Evinrude that has the following issue(s) (Quoted from sellers email)

"Last year we tried multiple tests. We first hooked the motor to a hose and got the engine running fine while hooked to a hose. When we placed the boat in the water, we are able to get the engine started, and idoling at high revolutions. Sometimes when trying to decrease the revs the engine would stall out and we would have to restart and try again. Once we got the the motor to a somewhat moderate revolution we would place it in gear and sometimes the motor would catch and sometimes it would not. If the motor did indeed catch it would run fine until we would again try to place the engine in idol, where upon it would stall out and the process would begin again. It is hard to tell if it is the engine alone, or a combination of the gear sfhiter, clutch and choke. The engine will start fully choked, then when opening up the choke the engine will get to a moderate revolution, but once the choke is fully open it is a toss up from throwing it into gear so that the engine kicks in, and or throwing it into gear and the engine stalling out. Once runnning however, it runs fine until the gear is disengaged where upon it will stall. I have on multiple occasions taken it out and played around on the lake by starting the engine and engaging the prop right away, and running until i would stop, then start the engine and throw it into gear when ready to play some more. Like I said it is a tricky situation and with more time we would be able to narrow the problem down, but we have not had the time."

So, do you think we are talking carb issues, lower end or??

I should add that P.O. has replaced, within the last year, the stator and the power pack.

Any help/suggestions appreciated..

Motor LOOKS clean inside and out....

Kerry

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 Evinrude 50hp, with problem

I would put all my bets on a dirty carburetor.
If you look inside the barrel of the carb,you will see a few small holes.Those are the holes where the fuel comes from when you are at a low rpm or idle.They are probably gummed up.
I would do a full carburetor clean out and rebuild,it will probably solve your problems